Fly Fishing Forum banner

Line weight for sage 596 xp

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  John Desjardins 
#1 ·
I just bought a sage 596xp and was not sure if i should go up one line weight to a 6?

#2 ·
LINE WEIGHT INCREASE

Good evening,
Sage's XP has 4- 5 weight models, yours being the longest at 9'6", but to load it with 6 for regular use, IMHO would be a mistake. Pick up an extra reel spool and have a 6 weight to use in a pinch, mabye. Look at the percentage of fishing that you do, your type of quarry. If you are like me, you will find that a high percentage (85% in my case) of your overall fishing will be covered by a particular weight , for me it is 5. Therefore I stick with a 5 and perfect my performance with it. For larger fish and the other 15% of my fishing, I have a 7 weight. There is little that can be thrown at me that I can not handle with those 2 setups. You indeed spent some $$$ on this peice of equipment, Don't bog it down.
Deerhawk

#3 ·
I agree with Deerhawk to stick with the line that the rod is rated for when you first use it. The sole use I've found for overlining a rod in this weight range is if you need to throw short casts 70% or of the time when you are fishing. Since you have a 9''6" rod I dont think that would be the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.