Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing in Washington D.C.

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  rosskess 
#1 ·
So I just got into a good law school in DC and am trying to figure if I could handle 3+ years in D.C.

Is anybody fishing the Potomac?

Is there any good fishing (warmwater, river, or coldwater) in DC proper? Any links to info?

Anyone prowling the Potomac with fly (or spey) rod???

Comments welcome and appreciated.

#2 ·
there is good shad fishing. I have heard of folks catching stripers, smallies and LG mouth bass on the potomac. Drive an hour or two, and there is good fishing in most any direction. Talk to Newell or Grizzly @ The Angler's Lie in VA for more.

#5 ·
I'd try the...

BIG reflecting pond near the Washington monument! :wink:
Well stocked and no "special permit" required... :lildevl:
NO WORRIES! :hihi:

#6 ·
"fishing is a prime motivation in my decision of law schools"...

Well in that case, Big Eddie's School of Law on Christmas Island might be a better choice.
Boston has some good fishing close by, bt I think that the mid-atlantic has the most varied flyfishing in the country. Decent striper, trout, shad, albie, small/large mouth, snake head and I'm sure I'm leaving stuff out.

#8 ·
U of Montana

Yeah... I gotta have both salt and fresh fishing, preferably steelhead/salmon within decent driving distance (few hours) so Xmas Island is OUT.

U of Washington...how about an acceptance already???? Lewis and Clark, can you give me love??? U of Oregon, I'll name my firstborn Eugene!

Cheers all--

Joe

#9 · (Edited)
I am going to get my head chopped off for this, but if saltwater fishing is important to you, the westcoast might not be such a good fit. Of course Salmon/steelhead(and most things spey) might not be so great in the DC area, but if your willing to drive a few hours, mid atlantic is hard to beat...heck tack on a couple of more hours and you've got steelhead too...but you know all this.
Let us know where you wind up.

#10 ·
why???

Having only ever fished in Santa Cruz, CA (near where I lived n Sili Valley), I've wondered about this.

Why is the saltwater scene not happening in the same way in the PNW??? No stripers/blues/albies???

I know about salmon from beaches and such...but there has to be other fish around, no?

Edumacate your faithful (if provincial) brooklynangler, please

#11 ·
I'm sure that somebody out there loves fishing for corvina, surf perch. Even if the fishing was terrific, the constant 20 mph winds and giant surf would be exauhsting. I'm sure that someone out there loves to fly fish for Salmon (in the salt) and white bass. I'll let them make the pitch. The stiper fishing in the bay area is kind of cool (if you have a boat, not many shore opportunities) but if you have ever caught one on the east coast, it will be disapointing. Stiper fishing in the West is like Skiing in the East. Sure you can do it....
Having said this, I think that steelhead and big wild trout would be a worthwhile trade.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.