Fly Fishing Forum banner

Next year at Neah Bay......

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  topwater 
#1 ·
After a few days off from the incredible Coho fishing at Neah Bay I am already planning for next year. I ran into Topwater at the Fly Shop and he is doing the same its never too early to get ready for that place.
I am going to put a lot more effort into fishing Kings out there next Summer, I played around briefly with some T14 and weighted Clousers and I feel very confident that this combination will put the gear in the right place.
With all the modern materials for tying saltwater baitfish imitations a flytyer can match alot of really time tested and productive "Lures" that have been in use by trollers for decades. I refer too the various "Hootchies" that are manufactuerd by Golden Bait, Yozurri. and Silver Horde. For those of you living in the NW you can go to any of the Marine Stores that sell fisheries supply and Tackle to Commercial Trollers and get some inspiration on what color combinations have a proven track record. Theres more to life than fishing a chartruese Clouser! :smokin:
Hootchies are the multi legged plastic skirts that imitate bait fish and squid. They slide over the leader and the hook and are usually used in conjuction with a Flasher or a Doodger to impart a little, or a lot of action to the lure.
Please don't try to tell me that salmon are color blind and color doesn't matter. They may be color blind but they certainly respond to colors with a very clear preference, and its not always the same, so arm yourself with some variations and be ready.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pat,

I'm getting real old but if I remember right Hootchies were made before the use of plastic molds with a painted lead head with a hole drilled through it, the body was colored chicken hackels somehow attached by a thin sheet of clear plastic over the painted head. Just like modern day hootchies you tied your hook setup to a leader and ran it through the head as you do today. We used them for strippers and Blue Fish and down in Florida all varieties of sport fish and the chicken feathers were died in some very bright colors indeed. I believe Hootchie was the trade name even back then.

I have been meaning to send you out my squid fly that has been so sucsessfull for winter steelhead to try out at the bay. It's called, The Skinny Legged Squid, named after the Tip and there is nothing like it in the world except for the Pink Poodle and SS's pink plankton fly.

#4 ·
As soon as the Tide Books come out around New Years!

Juro we had a gathering there this year next year we will schedule it a little more in advance. Hopefully that will make it a bit more inclusive. I might buy a new and larger boat so maybe there will be a third spot for some "transiet" or another!!!!!

#5 ·
"Theres more to life than fishing a chartruese Clouser!"

BLASPHEMY!!!!!! :D

looking forward to next season. hopefully will have time to do more experimenting offshore for the kings on the prairie.

chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.