Fly Fishing Forum banner

Advice on a new yak

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  joev 
#1 ·
OK, here goes...

Taking the plunge on a new 'yak and just got a shot at a year old Pamlico Excel. Any thoughts/comments/advice? This newbie will be most appreciative.

Best regards,

-Doc

P.S. Pete, if this really is like your first HALO, talk me out of it, please, 'cause I don't think I'll be smart enough to freeze in the door.

P.P.S.: Why do people jump out of perfectly good aircraft, anyway?

#2 · (Edited)
...DOC...

Don't look down!...Step back in from the ledge!
It's not the fall that kills you but the sudden stop when you run outa' vertical space...

Now is a good time to check out season end specials...
There seems to be what looks like a marine assault unit on my horizon...12 o'clock and closing!
With that in mind, I'm thinkin' about thinning out the BlkOps inventory and I suspect a Pongo and/or a Manteo may be available in short order...more news to follow...

p.s.
When you take a running start, it's hard to freeze at the door...
but if you do, there are large boots at the ready to propel you on your way...

#3 ·
Advice on new 'yaks

Pete,

OK, I have my eyes firmly closed and am awaiting the aforementioned large boot...

Seriously, the more I look and listen, the more opportunities there are both here in the Scituate area, on the Cape and in RI, as well as home in the depths of NJ for kayak attacks on the finned friends. Gotta bite the bullet!

If you are thinking of thinning the herd, I'd appreciate it if you would keep me in mind. I could see my way to a well trained Pungo, if that works out. I can be up on a weekend to make pickup and deliver appropriate tributes.

Very best regards, and hope we fish together again sometime...

-Doc

#4 ·
Doc Depending on what type of fishing you are doing there are many choices.
I had a Pungo to start with now I have 2 Tarpons.One for me the other for the wife and yakless friends.

The SOT models are much easier to get in and out.Great for wading flats and such.

Right now I think that the Tarpon is one of the best yaks out there.When someone shows me a better one I will buy it.

Cobra Kayak has a bunch of light weight SOTs also.They are very popular down in NY/NJ.

Everybody says SOTs are cold but you should be dressed to get wet anyway in case you go in.Do your homework and check out a bunch of yaks and talk to the guys who use them.

I have over 300 hrs of yak fishing time this year.Fish with alot of hardcore yakkers .Most of them think the Tarpon is right there with the best of them.

Downside is the weight 65 pds.But you do get more speed and storage than the smaller yaks.

WS is coming out with a 12 foot Tarpon this year.They also have the Ride wich one of my buddies was really impressed with.He was standing on it on some flats down in Florida while fishing with Ken Daubert.

Any thats my $ .02 Check otu try them out and talk to the guys who use them.

JoeV

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.