Fly Fishing Forum banner

Any ice on cape ponds?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  boatdrinks 
#1 ·
This doesn't really belong in this forum because it's freshwater but since there a lot of people from my neck of the woods who look here I though I'd ask. Does anyone know if there's ice on ponds on the Lower Cape? I was thinking about perch on the fly if not. Thanks

#2 ·
Don't forget they're stocked wth trout, and many holdover. Also brood salmon in Cliff - a force to be reckoned with on the fly rod! I've watched them feeding, yet to hook one though. Not sure if they're frozen yet I can take a look mid-week.

#3 ·
Almost

Mashpee -Wakeby is just about all iced in, there is a section of roughly 100ft in circumference in front of the house that is open on the Wakeby side,due to the lake being primarily spring fed there are always areas that are slow to freeze.I've taken some 4-5 lb rainbows:hihi: through the ice over these spring feeder areas after they freeze.These areas freeze amazingly clear and because of the large area they encompass ,they allow for a lot of light to penetrate to the bottom,it can be an eerie feeling walking over these areas and looking down to the bottom in 20-30 ft of water.:whoa:

#5 ·
I've never tried for the Salmon although they sound like fun. I think trolling or drifting shiners is the only way I've heard of to catch them. No reason they wouldn't hit a fly though. The pond I keep my canoe on doesn't have any trout but I really like perch fishing in the winter. I've caught some really nice largemouths on sinking line in Feb too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.