Fly Fishing Forum banner

Acklins DIY update

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  teflon_jones 
#1 · (Edited)
DIY Bonefishing update on Acklins island

Just wanted to update everyone on the lodging options for DIY fishing on Acklins Island

In addition to Felton's place near Salina Point in the far south (which is good for those wishing to fish the south end and even central area)

there is a new place just north of the airport (Ivels)
http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/acklinsivelpackagespricing.html

and of course Chester's up in the north end by Lovely Bay.
http://www.ccoflyfishing.com/acklinspackagespricing.html

I represent both DIY lodges, and would be happy to answer any questions about either of them. Chester's is best for fishing the north end of acklins, while Ivels is best for the central & north area of the island. (and even the south if you really want to explore north, central and south)

It's worth noting that exploring all of the island is difficult to do in one week. There are so many productive areas on Acklins that you need weeks to really cover them all. Also, driving on the island, especially in the central & south, is slow going in many places as the roads are in rough shape. Good news is that they are scheduled to be fixed and I hear that they are to start working on them soon, if they have not already.

See less See more
#2 ·
Vince-the price at Ivels is damn good considering that it includes a jeep!

You can also get very reasonably priced DIY lodging at Acklins Outback Lodge with Fedel up in Lovely Bay and Top Choice used to have a good DIY price. Grey's Point has a DIY package too, I just think it's a lot more than the others.

For the first time there are a lot of good options! Is it March yet?

#3 ·
Still dreamin of going to Aklin's someday..There is a chance that in the not so distant future my friends and I may opt for an Aklin's trip instead of Trout. I hope you don't mind asking a couple of questions helps me out alot on making this a reality someday.

A couple of questions, if there were 4 of us and wanted to DIY and some guiding for about 5-6 days what is some approximations on costs over all. I see that Iele's is $850pp for 4 which includes a jeep/vehicle. That is $3400 for a week not including food/booze or guides, correct? I see flights from Boston in May time frame is about $250 to NAS, how much is the flight RT into Aklins from/to NAS? What do you guys typically budget for food? How much is a guide in Aklins, I am assuming around $500 2person full day, is this close? I guess I have always assumed that a bonefishing trip guided for a week was about $2500/pp w/o flights.

Sorry for the barage of questions but cost is the biggest issue for many of us and the forum is such a great place for information and honest opinions from like minded folk.

Thanks in advance
John

#4 ·
Acklins flight

Last I checked, the Bahamas Air flight from NAS to AXP (Spring Point) was $324 total, RT. Flights only on Wednesday and Saturday. Usually have to get to Nassau the day before, but can get afternoon flight from NAS on the return. I hope to be visiting Acklins this spring. PM me if you want further details.
GMflyfish

#5 ·
There are only four flights into Acklins Island (Spring Point Airport) each week, and they depart from Nassau on Friday, Saturday, Monday and Wednesday mornings. Because the flights leave in the early morning hours, you must get to Nassau the day before your scheduled departure to Acklins, and overnight there. On the way home, it is possible to complete your travel in one day, especially if you live on the East coast. Just make sure to schedule your departing flight out of Nassau after 3pm to ensure you have enough time to make the connection in Nassau. Bahamas air offers flights on Saturday & Wednesday, while Pineapple Air offers a Monday & Friday flight.

Round trip is around $244 Nassau to Acklins as of this spring. (bahamasair) Pineapple air will be comparable.

Guides are generally $400 per day.

Food provisions are scarce on the island, so it is best to bring much of your own stuff if you plan on cooking yourself and want to eat well. Ivels can arrange groceries to be waiting for you upon arrival (they own a food distributorship in Nassau) Otherwise, eating out at the few local restaurants is not too expensive.

As to the prices offered, just divide whatever weekly package you are looking at by 7 to get the nightly rate.

#7 ·
Free plug for Vince:
Booked my trip with him a couple of weeks ago and have been very impressed with his level of service. I'll post a report when I return from Chester's in late February!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.