Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking for a yak.

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  The French guy 
#1 ·
I am looking to purchase my first yak.

I have a few questions:
I am new to kayaking, although I have canoed quite a bit. But I am defintely a beginner in the idea of fishing from a 1 man small boat.

I am looking for a sit on top boat that is:

1. Stable
2. Easy to launch from an Ocean beach, but some flats and calm water.
3. Light
4. Relatively easy to paddle, although I generally will not be taking long trips (couple of miles max)
5. Not too expensive (want to see if i like the fishing from a yak concept before I invest too much).
6. If I do like this type of fishing, I would like to be able to pass the yak down to wife or kids so that I can "move up"

Also, a lot of companies offer "fishing" models of kayaks. These seem more expensive, but come equiped with rod holders/anchors and other fishing related accessories.

Is it worth it to purchase one of these models?

I searched the board and saw some recommendations for Pungo 120 or 140. But that is about it.

It seems like there are two kinds sit on top kayaks. The short -fat ones (10-12 feet) and the 14 foot ones. Which is best?

Also, how hard/easy is it to cast an 8wt from these? or do most people use lighter tacke?

Thanks in advance for the info.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Jimbo, Find a Kayak dealer in your area and try some out. Yes its fairly easy to flycast out of kayaks. After using both I give the nod to sit on tops for that (but, not all things).

You did not mention your size, and that is really important.

The "fat/skinny" yak statement is not really determined by length at all. In gereral a wider kayak will be more enjoyable once you get to your area for fishing. It will be a better more comfortable platform.

The less wide kayak will be more enjoyable getting you there and back.

Longer is faster, smoother & glides. Shorter is quicker,turns better.

I can suggest a list of sit in or on, flyfishing friendly kayaks but need more info. on your size,storage,transporting, etc

h2o

#4 ·
H20

Thanks for the input.

I am a stout 5'10--210 lbs.

i will not be transporting the kayak far usually 1/2 mile, at the most 10 miles.

My paddling trips will generally be short as well. 1/4 - 1/2 mile on occassion longer maybe 2-3 miles but that is it.

As far as gear and storage goes, aside from intermediate and a sinking line rigs, I may have my fishing backpack. That is all.

However, I will say that when I paddle around my harbor here in Manchester, I would like to plob one of my kids in my lap or somewhere else on the kayak to "give them a ride". I saw that the Cobra Fish n Dive has a backward facing seat for just such a purpose.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.

#5 · (Edited)
Jimbo,
Sounds like a a lot of the same requirements I had when I got my first (and only) kayak. I ended up going with the Ocean Kayak Frenzy Sit On Top. It is very stable, I can stand up in it, but I wouldn't fish standing up. Its only detriment is that its a 9 ft yak, which makes it a little slow going, but its by no means hard to paddle. Its a great fishing platform, and its also a great surf playing machine. I got mine from a Ski Market Warehouse clearance sale a few years ago for around $300 dollars, down $100 from the regular $400. So its pretty inexpensive.

It is a sit on top, so that means I wear my waders 75% of the time in it, but that doesn't bother me at all. And since its a sit on top, there is no worry at all of flipping it, filling it, bailing it, or sinking it. Its plastic so I can drag it, kick it, abuse it and the like. I actually just picked up a new carbon fiber paddle from an auction here donated by www.capecodekayak.com and it has made a huge difference in paddling.

Most of my paddles in the boat have been the 2-3 mile range, but I have done approx. 7 mile paddles with the Roopster and Penguin. As far as putting a youngster in there, that would be tough. I once tried to paddle out to an island with a roomate on board, but that's another story ;). A smaller child may be doable.

Let me know if you have any more questions, and if you're near Boston at all, maybe we can get together so you can try it out. It is better to test them out before you buy!

Nick

BTW---I'm 6'3" 210lbs and its been no problem for me.

just read that your in Manchester...I work in Peabody and paddle there after work quite often...

#7 ·
Re: H20

JimboJones said:
Thanks for the input.

I am a stout 5'10--210 lbs.

i will not be transporting the kayak far usually 1/2 mile, at the most 10 miles.

My paddling trips will generally be short as well. 1/4 - 1/2 mile on occassion longer maybe 2-3 miles but that is it.

As far as gear and storage goes, aside from intermediate and a sinking line rigs, I may have my fishing backpack. That is all.

However, I will say that when I paddle around my harbor here in Manchester, I would like to plob one of my kids in my lap or somewhere else on the kayak to "give them a ride". I saw that the Cobra Fish n Dive has a backward facing seat for just such a purpose.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks again.
JIMBO, I would look at the Ocean Kayak tandems in 12' to 14' that can be paddled solo easy or double. Also the Necky Cruiser 2. From there, if the family enjoys it also (as mine does) you could always add a solo like the O.K.Caper that you can use or the kids will grow into etc. The shorter tandems can do allot, solo, double etc. Your rod holder layout for solo will be a little tricky how ever, but can be done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.