Fly Fishing Forum banner

Classic tarpon flies with a twist

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  CaptMark 
#1 ·
I've tied some classic tarpon flies substituting natural materials with Polar Fibre. The Apt tarpon fly and a cockroach. I have others that you can look at on my website but wanted to get feedback on these two. What do you guys think?

Capt Mark

See less See more
#4 ·
CaptMark: Great looking flies! Have you tried the Polar Fibre in dirty water. I tried another synthetic material (the name escapes me now) and found the fibre to collect a lot of debris in the water which proved to be very difficult to remove. I'm looking for a synthetic material that won't grab and hold debris.

#6 ·
Tarpons Flies

I have had absolutly no probelms with this material in dirty water. We've had nothing but rain the last couple of weeks and that has really stirred up the river.

After I tie in the material for the tail I had a small amount of Softex to the wraps and the first 1/8 to 1/4 inch of the material, and shape it to make a slightly wider profile.

I let the Softex dry and then continue with the hackles and the finishing of the fly.

Capt Mark

#9 ·
Softex

Softex is a great replacement for epoxy because it's one part, durable, penetrating and fast drying. Apply by dipping the head of the fly into the jar of Softex and then cleaning the eye of the hook with a feather. You can also apply it with a toothpick or even your fingers. Sets in 3 minutes…no turning required.

Below is a link to where you can buy it.

Capt Mark

http://www.worldwaters.com/retail/common/shop/prod_detail.asp?store%5Fid=212&dept%5Fid=62&pf%5Fid=FTMAT%5FDOUGS%5F104589&mscssid=MJPTMMDAXDV58NBVSJU4WT1VBNPQ3GUC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.