Fly Fishing Forum banner

inflatables

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  artb 
#1 ·
I own a kayak, and have had my problems with it, perhaps it me, being old and not as mobile to get out from a round bottom kayak before the next wave rolls you. If you are fishing sand flats, one can not get out without risking a roll over.
Inflatables light in weight, very stable, if you have floorboards you can even stand up to cast. I wonder how many have noticed the commercial where the army drives one right up into a helicopter. Sea Tow even uses them as they can come up to a disable boat without risk of damaging a boat. I am posting this as I have to decide this week as one company has a sale that ends Jan.31. They are very portable the one I am interested in weighs 17 lbs and is about 4 1/2 ft wide and 8 1/2 ft long. It has a 3 year warranty. Just the thing to take, for example, to use in the salt ponds during the worm hatch, or fishing the flats, very quiet, able to get in and out of it quickly, also able to sneak out front of the beachs just out of the surf line a couple of surf casts away. I know it works cause I have seen it done without problems. I can not say that for a kayak. Another thing is you can use a 2 horse power motor. I am interested in everyone's thoughts. The wife isn't very happy, but every boat I buy is the same way. TL artb

#2 ·
I hear what your saying about kayaks, but I bought a tri-balance kayak and can stand up in it and fish. I also can anchor it on the mononomy flats and get out without tipping over. It really is the best of both worlds. I can take it from Hardings beach right over to north monomoy flats. I would be concerned with an inflatable to make that journey. The tri-balance is not as difficult as people say on manuverabiliy.

#3 ·
You are certainly right about your kayak with the outriggers. The problem I have with it, is weight, I am old and have problems putting one on my blazer, also the cockpits are small and restrictive. I believe with an inflatable, one has more stability, room, and is light. The one I am interested in weighs 17 pounds. Over the last few years I have seen kayaks in trouble, including myself. I have seen fishermen in inflatables having a time landing one fish after another just beyond the surf line. While I cast from shore as the surf was to large for my kayak. I am surprised that your thoughts were the only ones raised on the board. Thanks

#4 ·
Well you are right about the weight but it's a trade off I am willing to make...for now. But with all the inlets and if you were think of within 100 yards of shore give or take you can go with the inflatable. I could use the inflatable in Chatham along the south shore beach and then along Morris island to spots on the western shore of South beach. It's just that I would think twice about heading over to north monomoy. Techically I probably could a low tide.

#5 ·
Art -

I too have been interested in inflatable kayaks for while. I think the convenience of having over water mobility rolled up in my truck bed is very appealing. The inflation process is a bit of a pain but even stopping at a gas station nearest the water is a pretty good option. I read that some even have keel designs to aid tracking, multiple chambers for safety, and they all look comfortable.

You mention "beyond the surf"... do folks fish from them on the other side of the breakers down in RI? I see sea kayaker's recreationally cruising out in the open water around the cape, but most kayak anglers I see are inside bays and estuaries.

The whole inflatable concept is appealing to me. Please keep me posted on what you find out on the topic... I may be joining you this summer in an inflatable kayak purchase.

#6 ·
To Striblue, & Juro, I have been following inflatables for two years now, and I have reached a decision.
First: I find that in doing most of my fishing lately, between Charlestown, and Watch Hill, that the fish show about 2 casts away most of the time. They make occasional forays to the beach, but are the exception to the rule.
Second: Having a kayak, I now feel that I feel that one is stuck in one position, for the amount of time one wants to fish. If you wanted to fish a shallow flat by wading, one can not get out of a kayak easily. An old man like me usually runs into a problem.
Third: What started me on the inflatable kick, is that the last two years I have watch, in particular, two guys from Ct. Who most weehends can be found catching fish with regularity off of Quonny. They relly do a number on the fish, while myself, from shore am lucky if the fish come in close enough for me to catch one or two.
Conclusion: I have looked at several inflatables, after, first what I wanted to do. One be able to fish streams, ponds, lakes in my area for trout. Second fish the flats in salt ponds of southern RI. Third be able to launch in the surf, if fish are showing offshore. Go clamming.
Boat requirements, Light in weight, I am an old man. Maybe carry another person, although it would be cramped. Beable to get out of the boat on a flat without tipping over. Be able at a later date add a small outboard, maybe. Made of strong material, the one I am purchasing next week, has a 3 year guaranty.
The inflatable I am purchasing weighs. 25 lbs, can carry up to 3 people 600 lb capacity. Will handle a 2 hp motor. With floorboards, one can standup to cast. Carry on my truck inflated, or inflate at the launch site.
Think of this all for the price of a good pair of waders. I , if I want to sell my kayak, keep quiet. If I buy by January 31 I save $50. I am ordering tomorrow, or Tuesday, kind of dragging my feet to see what you guys think.

#8 ·
Juro, First I should proof read what I write, lots of mistakes. I have decided ona Sea eagle SE6 which is a motormount boat, not a kayak. It is made from 33 mil K80 Polykrylar.Weighs 25 lbs, can be packaged to 12'x22'x20'.It has 5 separate air chambers. Can carry 650 lbs 3 or 4 adults, not much room though. It has all around rope lacing, if you fall overboard, always something to grab. All with a 3 year warranty. I am ordering tomorrow, or Tuesday. The wife is not happy, what another boat. Order berfore Jan 31., and safe an additional $50 bucks and a free acessory value to $39. Startup package is $249. with oars, foot pump, and seat. Deluxe package comes with oars, foot pump, motormount, floarboards,and a fisherman's seat, for $399. They also have about 3 or 4 different inflatable kayaks, but I want to be able to move around and strech my legs, get rid of cramped quarters. Hope I answered your questions Juro. Anymore, and I will answer tomorrow. Art

#10 ·
Sorry Art -

You were quite clear in your description, I needed to read more carefully. I've been thinking about inflatable kayaks over the last year or so, still might go for one. An inflatable boat does sound really good though, especially one with a motor, although 2hp rules out tide currents and breachways. Great for up inside places like Quonny (slack or outgoing) inside the breachway would be sweet.

The days when you venture out past the open beach breakers would have to be carefully chosen I would think(?) How do those guys you observe do it?

Standing up is usually not feasible is it?

On a related topic, I found the battery for my 3 hp SW electric trolling motor is a pain. The battery is so heavy and any contact with the terminals or corrosive fluids are definitely bad for clothing, rods, reels, etc. I guess a gas tank would be better, with a 1 gallon size tank you could probably cruise all day with a 2hp!

#12 ·
Juro, I have observed quite a number of guys fishing from kayaks, and have done it myself. I have launched in the surf and returned. Returning to the beach is a big problem as with a round bottom kayak, when you ride the wave up on the beach, you better be quick to get out before the next wave, because of the cramped quarters I have been unable to thus the rollover. Yes with the floorboards in it is an easy feat to standup, with \out floorboords,no. The ones that I have observed most are 2 guys form CT. They just launch, row out, fish, & return. I wouldn't say that they stay dry, but they don't capsize either. I have seen people go out in a 2 or 3 foot surf. What gets me is that you can get right in the middle of the fish about 200 yards offshore. It certainly makes for a chance at throwing a fly at feeding schools of fish, which during the week are not harrased by boats usually. Maybe if I can make somr kind of a backpack strap I could tote it to some inaccessable beach. Napatree comes to mind. I could also, if my son is going out have him drop me off at Napatree, just dreaming.
ArtB

#13 ·
Hi Juro, I am beating this dog to death, I hope last post on inflatables. I ordered today should have it by Friday. Also I have a story about striper fishing, but I don't know if you want it. I think you still have one or two, unless they got lost in the e-mail.
ArtB

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.