Fly Fishing Forum banner

Jesus & the 98 MPH fastball!

13K views 129 replies 18 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
Ok baseball fans of the Northwest has the new great one arrived in Mariners land? Since the kid was 16 years old the entire baseball world has been telling us Felix Hernandez will be the second coming of you know who. At 19 and the youngest pitcher to start in years he has not disapointed at all. One earned run in his first 13 innings but that's not important yet. Did you see his comand of all three of his pitches? From a 97 MPH fast ball with real movement then to a 82 MPH change up that really had the batters swinging before the ball got half way to the plate. Then the curve that not one batter in the twins line up came close to making contact with.
I realize things will get tougher for him as teams get to play against him and the scouting reports come in. But do you get the feeling this kid will just continue to take his game a notch higher every time he needs too.

#52 · (Edited)
I was wondering if the hit-and-run was on. Apparently the batter missed the sign or something. Both commentators felt Everett was trying to steal.

Thanks for the explanation.

You're right: no one in his right mind would send Everett on a steal -- but that's what it looked like and that's why I was so amazed.

Cheers,

-- Eric

#53 ·
Eric said:
I was wondering if the hit-and-run was on. Apparently the batter missed the sign or something. Both commentators felt Everett was trying to steal.

Thanks for the explanation.

You're right: no one in his right mind would send Everett on a steal -- but that's what it looked like and that's why I was so amazed.

Cheers,

-- Eric
I saw it the way you (and the commentators) saw it and I figured hosed up sign. Apparently that makes me a bandwagon, ignorant, NW loser fan. Everett is as slow as Edgar which is why the play seemed odd or a miscue - it is obvious that was why you made your initial comment. If you consider the pile of baserunning errors, missed signs etc (Sexson stealing 2nd on Pudge?) then it isn't too crazy.

But hey, I only listen to/watch about 150 M's games a year and yes, I'm still learning the game.

-t

#55 ·
M's are on a run and the next three games are pivotal. Didn't they win like 10 of 12 games or something recently? I read that the kid was "dominating" and pitched instead of trying to blow everyone's doors off. Probably got a little inspiration from Moyer's recent outing, very impressive. Keep the bats going over the rest of the month and they could easily pull into 2nd or even 1st in the division from the cellar!

My otha team helped by pulling off a walk-off 3 run BLAST from the bat of Ortiz in the bottom of the 9th down two runs to down the Rangers but unfortunately they got smoked in the second of the double header.

I thought the Bronx bombers would smoke Oakland at home but instead Oakland broke out the broom impressively leaving my bosox with a 1 game lead in the division when the dust cleared.

Seattle will have to topple Oakland on their own these next three games.

#56 ·
juro said:
could easily pull into 2nd or even 1st in the division from the cellar!
Did you mean pull into 2nd or 1st in the cellar division?

The young king has had very good progress in his last 4 starts - though he did get shelled in Texas. Still, his performance against the twins and now yesterday's complete-game, 94 pitch, 0 BB, 9 K's win was really encouraging.

We will see how the M's do as the competition level increases. Oakland has been pretty hot lately.

But, I guess the M's have been too. Feels odd saying that.

-t

#57 ·
It is good to see some positive things with the M's this last week but.... I will wait and see if I watch more than an inning or two of a game. It's not their record as much as it is the lack of emotion I see. I love watching the red sox's even Okland as the entire team is up on the dugout rail throughout the game. Seems everyone on good teams are really into the games. I do not ever remember the M's being that way in the great years not so long ago. I think they need new ownership and an owner who lives in Seattle and shows he is active in the team.

As far as M's fans yes on the most part they are really bad. Speed boat races, shell games, cell phones and sushi. When the red sox are in town 20 visiting red soxs fans can out shout and out intiminate the entire Safeco crowd. I wish they would just sell only Fenway Franks at Safeco maybe then M's fans would have enough gas to learn something about what makes baseball such a great game. For those of us that grew up near Fenway or for that matter New England it is hard to become a Seattle fan no matter how hard we try. I would give anything to re visit the Fenway bleachers of years ago when I was 17 years old. 75 cent tickets, $2.50 cent big beers, Lablatts I think, no ID needed and then the hippies would pass those funny looking and interesting smelling cigs down the isles and they would just keep going and going till some fan fingers got way toooo hot!

But at 4.5 games out or so there is hope even as the season moves to the dog days of summer. We will see in the next week or two.

#61 ·
Kids From Steelhead Country NCAA College Baseball Champions:

How 'bout them Beavers!

Congratulations to the the OSU Baseball team. You are the pride of the Northwest!

Cheers,

Eric

Hope some of them become Mariners

#62 ·
Eric,

What a great game that was to watch. Those kids played their hearts out and did just what their coach told them at the begining of the year, " Just be tougher than all the teams you play and you out live them all." In my book it is always nice to see Pacific NW boys beat up on those Southern Giants. Did you see the size of those 97 MPH fastballers for North Carolina they were all 6' 6". Both teams were great and it's a shame one had to loose.

#63 ·
There you have it, OC: "...it's a shame one had to lose."

Competition being what it is, there's always a winner and a loser.

There's always a second best. What separates them is often just circumstance.

Both teams were wonderful.

We'll be seeing the Tarheels again. What a terrific game and what a terrific series.

I'm a Stanford Cardinal fan but felt no remorse when the Cardinal were creamed by the Beavers in the regional. The coaching and the kids from the Northwest are wonderful baseball talents; so glad to see them on the national stage they deserve.

What great pitching (both teams)! Can you believe college kids can throw like that?

I guess the big difference between the major leagues and NCAA or triple-A is the variety of pitches the major leaguers can throw with location.

Cheers,

Beaver Believer

PS: only the second time a loser bracket team has won it all. Other team? West Coast of course: the USC Trojans.

I, being originally from Palo Alto (northern California) despise those USC unspeakables.

#66 ·
We can only hope! Two games out of first but I hate to say this we have been playing teams that could not win in double A ball right now. What has happened to all but two teams in the National leauge? American Leauge is kicking butt this year and has been for some years now. I know it is a cycle thing as I can remember the 60's and 70's when the National leauge won I think 15 of 18 Allstar Games. Back to the Home team. How are they going to get blue collar enough to deal with American League teams? I mean Oakland just eats them up and they are going to have to deal with that if they want to still be in this thing come September. Only thing June proved is that Our 3rd baseman and our first baseman know how to hit against the National Leauge. Does anyone think Seattle has a chance to have 3 or 4 players on the Allstar team? Lopez should go that is for sure. How about a catcher and a closer? Who knows with a few injuries to the regular allstars come game time we may get 3 guys to the game.

#69 ·
M's are trying to make me a one-team man. There is a loud sucking sound coming from the vortex of fenway, the Red Sox nation (aka the borg) is trying to assimilate me! Is resistance futile or will they do something other than get swept by LA? aAarrggggHhhh!!!!!:Eyecrazy:

#70 ·
Come back from a week on the ranch, a little fishing and a rodeo or two and what do I find? 0 and 6 and yet only 3.5 games out! What a screwed up team and what a screwed up division. No one wants to take charge. Think I'll go back out to Wyoming and fix fence, listen to the wind blow till the seasons over.

#74 ·
Even more OT. Mariners question

Hi Guys: I am flying up this week to take my family to the Friday night game against the A's. Can you give me a clue on where and how to park. We'll be staying in Bellevue and so will be taking I-90 back to the motel (I think I-90. Big road. Crosses lake. Goes through trees. I'm from Idaho)

Thanks,

Mark

#75 ·
Hi Mark,

Wow you picked a great weekend to be here if you like Baseball, hydro races, Blue Angels and lots of traffic and crowds. The Hydro races are this weekend on Lake Washington as you know. I have never been to any of it, we live by the lake and clear out of town as fast as possible. As I write the BLue Angels are out on a practise run and the house almost fell down from the vibration but they sure were beautiful, brings a shiver down your spine. If your staying in Belllevue and attending Fridays game I would suggest going into Seattle before the I-90 bridge closes at 10 AM and again I think at 12:30 PM. Don't try and go between bridge closings, the traffic is at a stand still, you might not even get out of Bellevue. Go early, 0830, enjoy the city, find a good viewing spot to watch the Blue Angels practise from and then go to the game. There are many places to park near the park and they all cost money, further out about 10 dollars closer to the park 20 dollars. A little hint for ya. Go at 0830 follow the signs to the ball park and you will find a parking spot or two under the 99 overpass for free. The over pass is just west of Safeco. From there you can walk to Pikes Market for breakfast, take in the sights and enjoy the day. The traffic for the afternoon Blue Angels practice and the mandatory I 90 bridge closing because of them was backed up over twelve mile this afternoon and it will be worse on Friday as people come into to town for the big weekend. It is now 2:40 pm and the radio says gridlock and they say don't expect it to be any different by 5pm. Have fun and when you get to you Hotel ask about traffic and getting to the ball park on this biggest of big weekends in Seattle.

#76 · (Edited)
And that's the inside track if ever I heard it!

So everybody put your hands together and pray... 3 wins and the M's rise from the gutter to 1/2 game out of first... 17 intra-division games in August!

American League West is still very much up for grabs.

so GRAB! GRAB! :)

For me a series against Boston to see who goes to the world series would be a dream come true! I would find joy in either going on to represent the American League with home team advantage (Fenway, Safeco, etc).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.