Fly Fishing Forum banner

Cozumel

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  rogerstg 
#1 ·
Hi Guys: I am taking the family to Cozumel next week and have several questions about the fishing. I did a search but there is not a lot of info available. If you have any input I would appreciate it. Here is what I've got:

I've got the name of Alex Euan alexe17@prodigy.net.mx as a guide and that the flats are on the north end of the island, but that's about all I know.

Here are my questions: On Google map it looks as if the northern end and southern end of the island have flats & Lagoons. I will have a Jeep. I'm just wondering if I can rent a sea kayak and access the flats on my own?

Anything other than Bones & Cudda's i.e. should I take the trouble to pack Permit and Tarpon gear?

What about Blue water that time of year? The kids want to "do like Cabo" and do some light spin gear stuff while dad tries to cast flies resembling baby robins.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
I fished with Alex in December, he is a good guide. You can walk or fish from the boat. I waded with Alex and my brother fished from the boat with another guy that Alex brought with him. Worked out well.
The flats we fished were the ones in the north and they were about a 10 minute boat ride from a dock located at the end of the road going north. I think it would be difficult to get to them in a kayak but there may be other places more accessible. I didn't get a chance to explore the rest of the Island. I was on a cruise with the family so it was get off the ship, jump in the van with Alex, ride to his boat, fish and come back.
The fishing was pretty good. Think I caught 4 or 5 bonefish and had a few break off. The fish were also larger than I thought they would be, 2-5lb. I was expecting belize size fish. I would suggest spend a day or half day with Alex and see if he can give you good info on fishing on your own.

#4 ·
Mark,

Please let us know how you make out. I am going in late May and have a day booked with Alex but would like to try and get in som DIY time if possible. I have also been searching around and it looks like the flats are tough to access without a guide. I believe the southern end of the island is conservation land and the north very remote and hard to access without a boat.

Sean

#5 ·
I've fished with Alex for the last 4 years and will be there again at the end of April. As far as flyfishing DIY goes, I have not been able to find anything worthwhile. However, I think an early morning stroll on the coral/rocky beaches north of San Miguel with a spin rod might get some results. I've seen bluefish type blitzing going on early in the morning, a few hundred feet from shore.

#6 ·
Roger,

If I decide to just settle for a day with Alex and no DIY would you recommend bringing your own gear for just a day? He mentioned he had gear or I could bring my own. Also, are there any flies you would recommend? Is there a legitimate shot at Permit?

Thanks,

Sean

#7 ·
I don’t know the Permit situation in late May, but I’ve never seen one there in early May. It’s your call on bringing gear. I book for 2 or 3 days so I bring mine. He has a TFO 8wt that I know of.

For flies in early may I’ve done best with colors brown, ginger and tan with gotcha and simram style flies in 6s and 8s. All with a few rubber legs. When the tide is low you’ll cast to muds in deeper water. Have a fly that will sink well. Last year I used a kwan fly and could not keep the bones off if it. Alex looked at me like I was nuts when I tied it on, but he took a couple from my box before I left. ;)

Alex has flies too, but you can lose a lot to baby cuda.

#8 ·
Mark I donnt know much about the flats fishing but April is peak sailfish season offshore. Weather permitting (it can get pretty nasty in April) you could get a shot at Atlantic Sails on a fly. In fact Sailfishing in April is what put Cozumel on the sportfishing map Good Luck Carlos

#9 ·
Quick Report

Alex was great. We fished to tailing fish for a couple of hours in the morning. Fish were in 6" of water and the wind was blowing 15-20 and it was cloudy. We went down to a #10 on 8lb Flouro and the fish would still spook if the fly was within 2'. At 3' they wouldn't spook but also wouldn't eat. As soon as the tide turned we started catching everything we threw at. Wish I would have had a 6wt. but only brought a 8 & 10.

Had one shot at a permit. Weren't supposed to see any so didn't have the 10wt strung up. Put the bonefish fly 1' to the side and it turned and looked at it and swam away. How many times have I had that happen?

The lagoons are way too far to do in a kayak. If you want to DIY, I'd go to the east side at daybreak and fish some of the points and look for busting fish. I am sure there are bones there but it wouldn't be a sight fishing situation.

Here is a shot of Prescott Smith & myself last July.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.