Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rogue River Report: Volume 2, Spring Kings

3K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  fredaevans 
#1 · (Edited)
Well il looks like we've tapped out the winter steelhead run (as of 4-24-2002, the last reported count) we had a total of 19,445 fish through the video machine. Salmon count was still low at about 500 fish.

But the good news is they're predicting another bonkers return for this year. The 'peak year' was 1995 with 82,000 springers, falling to half that the next two years. Then it 'tanked' in 1998 to 16,000 fish and the number has been building back up into the 30,000 plus range ever since.

Average springer clocks in at 8-15#, with many well beyond this number. (Last year my biggest pinned a 35# scale and there was fish still in the water). This year apparently has a larger than normal run of fish in the 30+ pound range so it could get interesting.

Bait of choice for the bankies and boaters is what's called a 'shrimp coctail' of roe and sand shrimp. Second choice are big flat fish with an anchovie wrapped to it for 'smell.' In either case darned tough to cast with a spey rod.:rolleyes:

Colour of choice for flys still is kelly green and red 'balls' or beads on a heavy sinking tip. Water is running at 1700 cfs, at 46 degrees, out of the dam but moves up quickly (so does the water colour for the next few days) due to heavy rains this past weekend. I'm 'testing' another choice recommended by a board member (blue maribu with a black hackle col. Only one time out after these beasties so no results to report.

Nate B noted a piggie hooked and landed in the uppppper end of the river in an earlier thread. Best fishing/shot at the buggers is from Shady Cove to the hatchery. But suspect that "highbanks" below Touvelle Park will be picking up quickly as the number of fish increases. This location is a 20 minute drive from the office, and a short hike down stream, so it's a good "afterwork hole."

With Joan gone for a few days suspect my "lunch hour" will be to zip out of here at 4pm, change cloths, pick up Poochie and hit the river.
(Side note: if you bring your dog be sure she's well protected from ticks; looks like this is going to be a crappy year due to the mild winter. Two off of her yesterday and even two of the damn things off of me! YUCK!!).

fe

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.