Fly Fishing Forum banner

Spray Skirt

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Warren 
#1 ·
Ok Yakkers I have a question.
I have a Pungo 14 footer that I use frequently on local lakes, I am thinking of taking it to the salt water, Portsmouth NH, Newburyport or even to Naraganset Bay. Not exactly open ocean but it can get bumpy at times. Do any of you sit in Yak owners use a spray skirt to keep water out or do you manage to get along fine with out it. I know the sit on top kind like the Tarpon 140 are popular with salt water anglers, but a Pungo is what I have. It seems to me the spary skirt would be a pain to get gear out such as your fly box, Bogas, net etc....

I read here, some of you folks have Pungos or sit in types. Hopefully you can be of assistance. Thanks in advance

Warren

#3 ·
Yup, I have a skirt for the pungo, don't use it often but when you need it you really need it. I go the nylon one with the zipper and the zip is frozen from the salt. I would not expect to get the same permformace on a skirt for the pungo as the neoprene skirts on a small opening yak, it will pop on the pungo if you get blasted.

#4 ·
I have an origional (12'1") Pungo that I use in exactly those diverse and some times rough situations. What you want it the Mini-Skirt. It differs from a traditional skirt in that it covers the cockpit forward of your body but does NOT wrap around your waist. This gives you very effective water/paddle drip deflection (+ good heat retention in winter) but is not nearly as confineing as a traditional skirt. The mini skirt also slides forward out of your way with just a push so you can get to your cockpit/tackle in seconds. This makes it easyer to get in/out too. Lastly, if you roll with a traditional skirt, water pressure and your attachemnt to a skirt will force you to do/learn a "wet exit" menuver. With a mini skirt, it's much easier to just fall right out.
FWIW, I have both types of skirts for my "spare" loon 138 and NEVER use the traditional skirt anymore.
hth

#5 ·
OK lads, thanks for the heads up on my options, I have a look around, but it is doubtful I will have any thing before the Roddy Icebreaker. So I will be there sans Yak. Unless of course I hit the lotto:biggrin: Then I will have a new JB1910 LT....Yeah right:chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.