Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where are the blue water reports ?

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 ·
Ok its July, July-September should be the prime blue water fly fishing time around the world or at least North America, who really does this type of fly fishing ? Is there any one ?

Other wise lets convert this space to either the "Indicator" anglers or "Fly fishing Ethics" section or some other useful topic, etc......

:confused:

#3 ·
reason no reports

:( PM Flyfisher, The reason why no reports as I see it, is because there is not a lot of bluewater flyfishing on this board. I guess the reason is this board is almost strictly flyfishing, offshore flyfishing requires a certain crazy breed. There is other :eyecrazy: Flyfishing boards that deal with bluewater flyfishing, but when the truth is known most is with winches, and fighting chairs. Most guys on this board are flyfishermen that do not get much opportunity for bluewater flyfishing. It requires a rather large allowance. Gas alone is about $300, at least , it is quite a run offshore. I haven't been yet this year, so no reports from me. My son has gone a couple of times, but most of his charters have been inshore this year, economy is down.I guess they tangled with a big hammerhead shark last week the hammerhead won. Here again this was not flyfishing. I hope to go soon. I had hoped 4 guys could get together and go for a day, but it hasn't worked out. In the past it has been exciting to stand in the stern throwing flys at a couple of circling Mako's, but seeing them and getting them on a fly is very difficult. In my neck of the woods it is about a 50 mile run to good offshore fishing. This month should be about the top in the area.:) If I get out I will post. The fish are there right now but I am not.:eyecrazy:

#4 ·
PM...and Art...I am working on it... looking at a 14 wt rod with appropriate reel.... 15 to 20 miles off the Cape...shark and tuna... my next concentration... will be looking at Bluewater flytying also. We need to get that forum going.

#5 ·
Sounds highly intensive from a cost, time, and physical perspective. I can see why there are very few people doing it. Need a high seas craft and costly equipment just to begin the pursuit. 50 miles out is farther than I would venture out in the ocean. Most I have been is twenty miles off NJ coast.

A 14 weight rod, I don't know if I could handle one of those for more than a couple of casts to a mako shark or whatever. Probably need to increase my weight lifting program to throw that weight.

I wonder if Ernest Hemingway or Zane Grey would have tried fly fishing in blue water if they had the fly fishing tackle we have today ?

Look forward to reports when they come.

Hal

#6 ·
Believe it or not a lot of guys will use a 12 wt and don't have to do a lot of casting..only when a fish is spotted or jig the fly down with a 650 grain. Tuna have been spotted within 5 mile of shore as well. Roop and Bob Pink went out about 10 I think and spotted tuna. I raised the 14 wt as insurance and the reel has to be bigger for the backing which I think you already know. Just a thought.

#8 · (Edited)
Don't know..maybe a 16 but I have held the 14 and it is a short rod...7 feet...not really a casting rod...used for Marlin buy teasing them up with the rubber lure then droping the fly ,letting line out near the teaser.... I do know that the 12 will work on small BFT as the 12 is a good tarpon and shark rod. My 12 is a very stiff Winston XTR with a fore grip. They easily cast the whole fly line and then some into the backing.

#9 ·
:)I built a 15 weight rod for my son to keep on his boat incase someone decides they want to give it a try. I think it has done in blue sharks around 100 lbs, yellow fin tuna to about 40, and quite a few mahi mahi. Striblue you arer on the right track about the reel, you could use a broomhandle with guides for a rod. From experince, :eyecrazy: get an anti- reverse reel and carry lots of backing.and always have a week-link in your leader system say 20 lbs.:tsk_tsk: its not very good seeing your flyline disappear. I also found if you are trolling a fly one wants something that is going to throw a roostertail in the wash, the bogger the better. I was experimenting with a Parrakeet Fly made of yarn, hard to tie, but works pretty well. If you are chumming be sure to have several chum flies.:cool: At the winter shows talk to Captain Bill Brown of the "Billfish" out of Westerly He has been bluewater flyfishing for years. I will have to post some bluewater flies:) ArtB

#10 ·
Check out Cape Fear rod company - they build some brutal sticks. I've not fished them but have spoken with folks whoi have and the reports are good - how about an 18wt? :D

#11 ·
Will check that company out but an 18 weight rod must take a real man to through.

Look forward to those blue water fly pictures from Artb.

When I was in Bermuda on business a alot 3 years ago I checked out blue water for marlin there. Beleive it was a $ 1,000 a day minimum for the boat and crew etc.. We decided to go golfing at the best course on the island (Mid Ocean) instead for $ 200

Since there is not much blue water going on perhaps we could make this the fly fishing ethics or fly fishing story section of the board ?

Just a thought, back to my corporate problems ! :eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

#12 ·
Here's another thought......we leave things as they are. If we change this board to something else, where will the bluewater reports go when they come in? And why is this board the one to be on the chopping block? There are a few others with even fewer threads and posts, so why not propose a change to them?

Answer: Because they all serve a purpose, and admin wouldn't have them there if they didn't feel so.

My two cents. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.