Fly Fishing Forum banner

drying motor

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Limpe 
#1 ·
Does any one know where I can find a cheep 7 rpm electric motor for a
rotory epoxy dryier? I have been serching for some time know with no luck.
Thank you for any help.
Porkslice

#2 ·
I spent a little time looking and couldn't find any think. Rotiserie motors are supposed to be good, but new they are not that cheap. I gave up and bought my self a nice one. Time save has to be worth some thing. I'm sure that another board member will have better advice.

#3 ·
There are quite a few motors (both AC and DC) available online from Jameco.

http://www.jameco.com

Do a search for the following keyword "motor,gear,120vac"

Here is a link to the catalog page for probably the best bet for an epoxy drying motor, its the one in the upper right hand corner of the page:

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/catalogs/c251/P116.pdf

-- Tom

#6 ·
I've built a couple of drying wheels/set ups using small clock motors. Cannot recall the rpm's, but they didn't cost more than a few bucks each. I got mine at an electric supply co in Needham/Newton Highlands - just off 128. Cannot remember the name, so I'm no help on that.

FWIW, I rewired the motor so that the cord had an on/off switch, built an oak stand, attached a piece of small diameter alum tubing to the motor shaft, got a big foam disc from Michael's... and there you go. Motor's been powerful enough to turn rods too. All in, probbably cost less than $10 - and I seem to recall the motor was around $6.

#8 · (Edited)
What Jim Whalen and Tod said: U-Do-It Electronics just off Rte. 128 in Needham. I found (if memory serves) a 5-rpm AC motor intended to rotate a silver disco ball. Extended the armature, put a foam wheel on it and bolted it onto a scrapwood L-shaped base. Six or seven bucks and an hour of workshop time.

#11 ·
Back here people use the motors from a micro-wave oven.

Best feature of some of them is that when power is switched off the motor turns the other way, they are powerfull enough to rotate a chicken and do a great job doing it slow...

Most of these motors work on 220 Volts (current over here) and i guess that in the US the motors work on 110 Volts, so no need to reduce the current or to make use of current regulators. Easy wiring, just a piece of cord, a switch a box to house the motor and a piece of faom to press your hooks in...

Good luck. :)

Limpe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.