Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fired up for a trip to the cape....finally!

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Nick 
#1 ·
Looks like I've finally got some time to devote to the cape this weekend. Anyone else gonna be around? Monomoy SB, south side funny fish, Brewster Flats,...can't decide!

Nick

#3 ·
Nick -

If you hit Brewster stop in at the town hall in the morning and pay $10 for the parking pass. The mid-day low should put you into some excellent sight fishing around the blue hole. If you start at 9:30 (beach passes are sold quite early in the morning) you will be able to paddle out with little or no drag, and if you fish until 3 or so you will be able to paddle back in as well. The yak could be left on the shoals while you walk or led on a leash. If the sun is strong it would be a v-e-r-y good option for the day although the tides are not very strong.

Inside the refuge is not susceptible to swells as you know and would be a very good option. Large albeit picky fish are plentiful if you like the cat and mouse game as I do. A new felt crab has been working well for me, and the deep eel still has moments of glory depending on the fish's moods that day. West Common, north end is good on that tide. SB - easy and reliable.

I am working on the flats Sat and teaching a casting class Sun at 10am up north but plan on squeezing in the evening bite Sat PM and an early bird somewhere 5:00a to about 8:30a if you are around Sun am let me know. Mecca?

The sand eels have made a distinct move toward the beach over the last several days and although I have not given it the time the fish are bound to start moving in to grub the shoreline any day now. They have been in their summer sand eel sipping mode for boat anglers mooching flies off the side but I have the strong feeling the shoreward attention is about to get serious and beach anglers will continue the beach party we had in spring as the bunker get ready to come to town and form that buffet line along the surfline.

If it was calm, bright and I had the whole day I would do the blue hole on a yak with timing set to avoid dragging. Pack a nice lunch and some cold drinks, good day on the flats indeed.

Good luck buddy

#4 ·
I'll be watching the weather, but hoping for the best!

Juro, thanks for the advice, pretty much what I was thinking. Just have to dig out my coordinates for the hole! Good idea on the parking pass, i will have to do that for sure.

Nick

#6 ·
If you have a yak and can safely fish 8-10 ft of water - outside on SB - you might want to give that a shot. Hopefully there's no double-overhead surf to contend with. There have been plenty of big fish in the wash too but you have to get on them very early in the AM i.e casting to them by 4:30-5. That game is over by the time you walk down from the RR dropoff IMHO. Fish have seemed to stay in the 10ft range just beyond the breakers through mid-day tho...

#7 ·
Dave -

Thanks you just confirmed a thought for me. Lighthouse regulars have been dragging fish off as I arrive at 5am, but I end up working for a legal among the schoolies thru the 7:30 drive down to the causeway. After the shuttle I see hordes of birds working and cross over to find sand eels popping from the wet and at my feet and birds picking cigar sized bait all around me but the big fish are nowhere to be seen. Seals have begun to roost on the shoals around the corner from the lighthouse in large numbers in mid-July, signalling lot of food nearby.

I was thinking that pre-dawn Atlantis sorties to the beach needed to be on my short list with recent changes, but the long walk around to reach the beach pitted against the thoughts of big flats fish (and lots of them now) c/o Rip Ryder have kept me from doing the walk.

I'll start heading onto Nauset 4x4 pre-dawn more and more as fall approches so I can cover the shoreline from Orleans to Chatham by truck with two Atlantis rods rigged in the rod racks - one with the 12wt floater and a big banger and the other with the 35ft type 7 shooting head and a foot long rip deep eel. Also got some black boilermaker bodies (1" diameter foam) for heads to make those nightstalker tube flies.

Gotta get a 40# from the beach on a fly one of these days...

#8 ·
Haven't been to Rhody yet to see if Weekapaug has some of my yearly friends. I'm planning on heading down the following weekend though, as they seem to become regular there a wee bit later than this.

Dave, worried about the Alex leftovers too much to yak the outside. Unless maybe I strip the boat down and do some surfing in it!

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.