Fly Fishing Forum banner

First Trip to the Cape 2004!

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  striblue 
#1 ·
I'm finally getting a chance to head to the Cape Saturday morning, the weather looks great and the tides are pretty nice for the southside flats as well. Any of the other usual suspects going to be around? I'm all ears for any tips (PM or email) since I've had no time to keep up with the beat in the area. I'm assuming the migrating flats schools are still around? Man I hope so...

TIA and Tight lines,
Nick

#3 ·
Hey Nick -

Glad to see you are still into fishing ;) that masters program must be putting the squeeze on your free time, best of luck with that BTW.

Over in the refuge the fish have been in a funk lately but there are BIG fish around, quality not quantity. Some days it's easy, other days tough but there are some submarines to be seen each time out.

With this weather forecast I would focus on pleasant blind casting situations keeping a productive flat within striking distance if the sun pops out.

The backside beach migration has become spotty to non-existent but there are good fish grubbing around in the wash for sand eels. Most activity is visible as consistent blitzes even out of reach for a 4oz kastmaster and a 12 foot surf rod. But the lurkers along the beach will be a nice surprise now and then if everything else if dead.

My opinion is that there is much more to come in the way of migrating fish over the next two weeks, so I am watching for the second wave.

Fish have been camping out in the tub with all the bait and cool temps, although most fishermen tend to roam around to the south for the quality fishing experience there is a lot of biomass up there to the north.

It's been downright cold out there with the cool water and harsh north/northeast winds. Supposed to swing south by end of day Sat we'll see.

Still the best place to find a submarine striper or get skunked trying IMHO. GOOD LUCK!

#4 ·
Juro,
Thanks for the tips! Its been a bunch of things as of late...finishing up school being one of them! I need to get out and catch some fishes, its been tooooooo long.

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.