Fly Fishing Forum banner

Is it TRUE???

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Fred Evans 
#1 ·
So from all accounts, it sounds like an epic year for summer run steelhead in the pacific northwest... tell me, please - is it true?

I haven't heard a lot of fish'n'tell lately but I have a sneaky suspicion that folks are finding the big chrome flash when they get some quality time on the water.

I saw a huge system over the region on the radar picture hovering and bringing precip to the area... that's got to be getting the migration into hyper drive!

Also, I really hope I get to put some faces to names when I head out there in a few weeks.

#2 ·
I'm leaving for the lower (Macks Canyton to Moody) Deschutes at noon and will be on the river through Saturday. Somewhat worried about the White River with this rain, but, if the water stays reasonably clear, I would expect good fishing. I'll file a report when I return.

#3 ·
With all the fish in the Columbia (300,000 plus) I know that it can only be a great year! As for the west side it's not been great as yet but with rain here for a couple of days things in great numbers are about to happen. And best of all the big caddis will soon show its fluttering wings. Late summer, early fall fishing is here!
OC

#4 ·
I certainly can't complain. The season started out with a bang and has continued solid. I've managed a fish to hand each month with a fair number of LDR'ed fish in between.

This last Sunday, a buddy and I trout fishing on one of my favorite little Westside rivers stumbled onto a pod of bright aggressive metalheads. Four hookups and one landing later, we left with a smile. Not bad since all we had were our 3 and 4 weights. My buddy also pulled a 20" dollie out of the same pool. (Before anyone gets concerned -- no fight lasted longer than 5-6 minutes and these fish were holding in a pool with a 58 degree afternoon water temp.) I'm just lucky that I didn't take my 8 lb. tippet or box of summer steelhead patterns out of my vest.

The rain that is falling the last two days can only make things better. Some days it is good to be alive!

Duggan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.