Fly Fishing Forum banner

Calico??

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  isoh 
#1 ·
I took the 6 wt down to the local pond in Lakeville tonight and worked the beach with a chartreuse popper. Second cast yielded a very perch like grab close in.

To my surprise, it was not a perch but an almost decent sized bass-like creature - about 1 pound. It had the shape of a chiclid (wide, discus shape with a protrouding head) and the markings and colors of a smallmouth. Is this what a smallmouth in spawn looks like or did I catch a Calico bass or something else all togther? A fly guy I talked with a few weeks ago said he had caught the same in that very location.

Next time I'll have the camera along.....

#3 ·
Definitely green-brown (with a good amount of yellow-bronze) and (much) flatter than a largemouth. It had similar stripes to a smallmouth and that's what throws me. Definitely not a crappie (calico). Maybe it was just a big ass pan fish? I've never seen them that big so maybe that's what threw me off on the id.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.