Fly Fishing Forum banner

Exploring new water (UTah)

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  flyfisha1 
#1 ·
Probably going fishing tomorrow (if the weather holds) with a buddy on a pretty much overlooked stretch of water. Its a very small river in central Utah that sees little pressure. My buddy mostly uses spinning gear and roostertails. The primary species is Browns from about 8-14". thoughts/suggestions/comments on fly selection, size, and techniques welcome.

#4 ·
Welcome to the board. My guess at where to start is with a nymph and a strike indicator. Since you say the stream is lightly fished I'd use a size 14 or 16 hook to start. The patterns listed above are good. I'd add a pheasant tail nymph also size 14-16 and a black wooly bugger, size 10 or 8 to the mix. Also a couple of dry flys that a local shop says are hatching.

Technique wise I'd set the strike indicator ~0- 1 foot higher up the leader than the water depth, and drift the nymph through the water like id drift a worm. When the indicator stops moving set the hook with a strip strike (pull the line with your hand) rather than lifting the rod.

Good luck & tell us how you do.

#6 ·
Jason,

Welcome to wonderful SLC. :hehe:

A small stream, little fished, in C. Utah during April... The standard nymph rig would be a good bet- use sow bugs and pheasant tails in 16's, 18's, and 20's. My prefered method would be to look for risers and fish to them with dries or emergers. Depending on the elevation and stream type, there could be a decent Baetis hatch going on in the afternoon's.

Either Western Rivers Flyfisher or Fish Tech will gladly set you up for your next outing.

Tight lines,

William

#8 ·
Ahhh... Utah. Lived in Murray for 4 years and fished up in the Wasatch on numerous occasions, when I was a little kid. Moved away in '85. Absolutely beautiful country, I might try to get back there next Summer for a few days. Streamers worked for us, as I recall, when fishing streams. Good luck on your next outing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.