Fly Fishing Forum banner

9/5-9-7 on the Cape

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  CascoBay 
#1 ·
Atlast I am off to the Cape. I am planning on hitting SB & Monomoy in the next couple of days. If anyone is going to be down in the area I would love to fish with you. I can't recall if I have internet down at the house we rent but I think we do. If the conditions permit I might fish the lighthouse at first light.

Drop me a line if you're up for some fishing!

Aaron. :lildevl:

#2 ·
Aaron -

Fish are definitely on the frisky side lately. Pea bunker and silversides up to 4-5" long are on the flats, not to mention huge sand eels on the outer beach.

Since the arrival of bunker is coming from the Nantucket Sound side, I'd recommend spending some time on that side of things when conditions permit for some eye-popping action. The ones that have been on the bunker trail are sporting black backs and can be seen for 50 yards.

South beach is still perky on the flats but until the swells lay down it's not going to be too much fun to fish the beach.

The migratory dead end known as the tub has a lot of bait, and you know what that means.

Whenever you are lucky enough to get shoals of bunker show up you'll be in fat city. They've been in and out over the last two weeks.

Good time to be fishing the area, and getting better.

#5 ·
Doh!!!!!!!

I am a late ...(or should I say early) scratch for today at least this morning. got to the lighthouse at 5 AM to find out that I had left my Fly Box back in Maine. :eek: I am so angry... I am tying like the wind right now to try and get a good assortment for tomorrow.. Not the way I wanted to start the day. Although the wind is pretty stiff the skies are clear and I am bummed I am not on the Causeway right now. Tomorrow is a new day. :( :(

#6 ·
Tie three flies and get on the 10am shuttle dude! They run almost every hour, just call ahead http://www.monomoyislandferry.com (sponsor).

They are grabby, you don't need a box full. Sand colored deep eel which doubles as a silverside pattern is all you really need, throw a small bunker pattern in there for fish pushing bait around.

I would go out there with two flies myself right now, having been working the flats over the last few days.

Tie at night! :)

#8 ·
Day wasn't a total loss. I fished the nauset inlet this morning and missed the fish of a lifetime. Late sight.... crossing presentation..... 40+ inch fish.. Deep Eel. He saw the fly and turned right for it .... I should have stripped once more :Eyecrazy: He was so close to eating it...

Anyway, my boxes are full after a morning of 5 cups of coffee so I am prepared for the flats tomorrow.

Any reports... Monomoy or South Beach???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.