Fly Fishing Forum banner

Pike candy: big flies for big guys!

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Dble Haul 
#1 · (Edited)
Alright, I've been wanting to get into flyfishing for Pike for a while. In the past I've used convential tackle with sluggo-fly hybrids, which worked well enough. However, you just can't beat using a fly rod. I'm in the process of tying up my flies as of now, as well as building an eight weight to handle the beasts. I can't wait! :Eyecrazy: So, at any rate I needed to tie some larger flies as I've already started a sizable box of various deer hair/ bunny fur flies. In this case, deciever style flies took my fancy and I think they turned out well. I also threw in a picture of a large Mickey Finn. Enjoy! (Oh, and yes, I am fully aware the herl will take a beating rather quickly. There are other factors that will outweigh that though.) -Blake

From top to bottom: Traditional deceiver style, traditional style w/ the addition of oversize eyes, DNA flash and an epoxy head, and the ostrige herl/bunny version w/ oversize eyes and epoxy. These are all about 6 1/2 inches.

This is a large version of a classic; the Mickey Finn.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Okay, it looks like we're in business! I also threw in my random rodent. I posted it on the "incorrect" part of the forum before. Enjoy!
*You can click on all of the images to enlarge them.

#6 ·
fcch said:
I like dry flies for Pike, ... Big as you can cast. Plop one down just out from a weed bed and hang on !!
I hear that! (although in my case I'm fishing along a river bank). Do they hit your fly while it's motionless? I usually use a fast retrieve and they absolutely clobber the fly, often going airborne when they hit. Sometimes they even come out of the water first and hit the fly on the way back in :Eyecrazy: . Only trouble is that they usually inhale the fly pretty deeply and it can be difficult to unhook them. Haven't caught any big ones yet (best was ~ 6 lbs) but even the smaller ones are a blast!

Q

#7 ·
Q,

For mice, I ike to plop i down (no finesse here). Give it a twitch. The hammer handles will often hit right away.

Then !!! slowly we see the reeds parting fabout 20 ft away (the water is about 2 feet deep there). A lunker had heard the fly land.

As the pike starts coming out of it's lair, I'll twitch the fly again. Once the fish is still about 10 ft from my fly, kopping strip retrieves about 8 inches at a time. The bow wave lifts and the pike goes for the kill. Don't stop !!

We've taken over 25 lbs with this tactic ... I prefer to short strike and hook in the lip as I don't use steel or wire leaders.

It's heart stopping fun.

#9 ·
If possible, please put them in the archive here with recipes for future reference. We'd like others to be able to share the fun.
You may have to explain specifically how to do this. You see, I'm rather new to these forums.

Thank for the replies, I appreciate them! All the this talk on pike is getting me sooo excited! i just wish I had the numbers of these fish most of you seem to have! It's not fair! :mad:

#10 ·
All you have to do is list each fly in a separate topic right here in this forum, "Archive of Warmwater Gamefish Flies". Include a recipe and any tying tips along with a photo of the finished fly.

If you have any other questions, look back in the history of this forum and see how several of us have added our own favorites. It's quite easy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.