Fly Fishing Forum banner

Greater Midwest Fly Show - Chicago

6K views 52 replies 5 participants last post by  removed_by_request 
#1 ·
fyi

Jan 11th & 12th - Oak Brook - Illinois

Who is planning on attending ?

National and local vendors will be there looks like Ross, T+T, Rio, and Ross all of which are Fly Fishing Forumn sponsors will be in attendance.

Jim and Don Teeny, Matt Supinski, Davey Wotton among other experts will be there and present sessions I suppose.

Maybe I will actually meet in the flesh a member of the forumn at this event, now thats scary. :whoa: :chuckle:

http://www.greatermidwestshow.com/index.htm

#4 · (Edited)
Gad Hal, a ton of years since I've been to one of these

events. The San Mateo (did I get close to the selling--Edit here: selling?? well ment to say spelling; mental slip or no, well over a 'grand' changed hands) Joan got close to flipping out when she saw the credit card charges. New wife and all that. :devil:

Should have added this was about 1984-5 and one of the rods was my first Sage Spey. A few minutes on the casting pond and the 'card' was in my hand. Told Sage guy he sold the (well, actually two) rods if he'd toss in the Sage hat.

He did, I did, and I still 'sport' the hat - Fred's trademark? - on the river, still have the rod. Prior to then (a lot of years!) the first/last spey rod was a greenheart from my early years in Canada.
:D

#6 ·
Fred

Thats why I normally stay away from these shows the temptations are to great. But have not been to one in a few years due mainly to work (out of town) and family. I will say hello to Mr. Teeny for you. Want to check out the latest things in his line since my fly shops here don't appear to carry it any more.

Mark

Will probably be there sunday, I think they have the same sessions saturday and sunday, will have to see when the schedule is posted. Will keep checking the web site.

Anybody else planning on showing up ? I think its just me, you, and Smolt here in Chicago but I could be wrong on that.

PM Out

#8 ·
I was there either last uear or the year before (the year Flip Pallot was there). I plan on attending again this year. I would like to make it the same day PM decides to go. I have no preference as to whether it is Saturday or Sunday, but Sunday would most likely be easier for me. (I have lunch with my brother almost every Saturday.)

G
#11 ·
Most of those sessions get pretty boring, I usually go to play with the fly gear and such.

Also it is neat to watch some of the masters cast on the pond. Just think, you'll get a chance to cast a T&T spey if you wish.

#12 ·
Really, I thought it would be a Miramachi salmon fly.

Maybe I will wear my new spey fly pin of one of my own custom steelhead patterns that was made for me by a member of the board ?

Heck, I might even put it on my Fly Fishing Forumn khacki baseball hat. It is a fluor green fly and I think it would look cool. Have to think about that.

#17 ·
I never developed a taste for the hard stuff, but I do like an ale or two every now and then. My favorites are Geary's Ale out of Portland, ME, the India Pale Ale brewed and served at RAM in Shaumberg and Wheeling, IL, and Guiness Stout.

While I never drank very many at a sitting, now that I am watching my waistline, one or two in a day, once or twice a week, is about my maximum rate of consumption. On a fishing trip, of course, where I would be getting much more strenuous exercise than is my norm, I am sure I would imbibe more often. (You really burn up the calories chasing Atlantic Salmon. I have yet to fish for or catch a steelhead, so I can't compare the "burn rate".)

#18 ·
Aaah the RAM in Schaumburg I can see it from my office window now.

Steelheading has a high calorie burn rate. Especially after you hook one, watch your backing speed away and start chasing them through deep bend pools and log jams, etc.... :smokin: :smokin:

PM Out

G
#19 ·
If you like stouts, Bells from Michigan makes two both so thick you could float a bottle on it. Also Mad river brewing co. in Ca. makes a Steelhead Stout that is really nice.
New Glarus brewing co also makes some tasty brews.

A good day of steel fishing equals 6 frosty treats and a dram of nectar to ease the aches

#20 ·
No schedule of speakers or events yet, what are they waiting for it is only two weeks away.

MS will be there want to hear his session for sure, right now have Sunday penciled in but if he speaks on Saturday will have to go then.

Several forumn sponsors will be there Rio, Ross, T+T, etc., check it out on the web link above.

PM Out

G
#25 ·
No we beat him, got here at 4am he didn't like bankies fishing his river.

So he motored around from bank to bank stirring up the river and making hellish wakes. Poor bastard didn't realize he pushed a mother lode pod of steel into a pool 30' off shore.

We sore mouthed them for hours after he finally realized we were not going to give up his spot.

#26 ·
LOL, :chuckle: :chuckle:

Done the same to other guides on the PM.

I have heard some of the Michigan guides call non drift boaters,
"bank maggots". That was from a very good source who used to guide in Michigan. It was a different well known guide up there and lodge owner though.

PM Out

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.