Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sunglass lens color

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Chris 
#1 ·
Seems to me that the proper color of lens is very important in helping one spot fish on the flats. So my question is what is the best color for the Flats?
FishHawk :smokin:

#4 ·
What's the difference between a dark amber and copper? Anyhow, agreed, the light amber/yellow is great in low light dark amber/copper for the bright sun on da flatz.

I wouldn't pay much attention to JF regarding style. He needs to have a CAC makeover by that Scissorhand fellow if he wants to fish Chat Ham.

#5 ·
It's not meaningful to say what's "best for the flats", it's more what color is best for you.

Reds enhance contrast (amber, copper, etc)

Greys provide highest true color recognition (my choice)

Browse through any RGB color channel description (Adobe Photoshop manual for instance) to see how each color really influences what is emphasized. Colored sunglasses are color filters in essence.

If you see fish better by contrast, go reds. If you use more color recognition as I do, go grey. I also don't see reds well when wearing reds, thus am more prone to miss traffic lights etc. Not a good idea.

I prefer the true color and glare reduction combination over the false tones of amber and copper lenses. I don't need the contrast as much in the way I process what my eyes tell me in the brain, and the color is of very high value to me in elimination of objects which is just as important as positive identification.

It's most important to understand how your brain processes what your eyes receive in order to decide which tones work best for you, IMHO.

#7 ·
If you have to buy prescription lenses and can only afford one set like me, or non RX and don't want to buy more that one then, I would go with the amber. They are great in the very low light of dawn and dusk and are sufficient for bright flats days. There are times when I wish I had a darker lens during those high light days but the flexibility in low light, mornings, clouds and evenings more than make up it. They see into the water very well and I have had now trouble marking fish in bright conditions. Tilting your head is a good tool also, to filter glare from a low angle especially early morning.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.