Fly Fishing Forum banner

of things metric & foamy

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
O.K. - So I went to U-Do-It and got the $4 special 120v, 4.5rpm motor for drying epoxy heads and now I'm looking for the other parts...

Anybody know where I can find a shaft coupling that's halfway between 1/4" and 5/16" +/-? HD, True Value, the craft stores - none of these places carry them.

Also, that nice soft foam round dohickey that the flies ride on (like the orvis model) - where can I find them.

Thanks guys.
TMS

#2 ·
If you look in the metric fastener drawers at any Home Depot you should find what you need. For the foam pad, just cut a closed cell foam flotation toy crosswise, drill a hole in the center (I'd use the bit by hand) and glue a center-drilled dowel that fits over the motor shaft eliminating the coupling. Is the shaft recessed on both sides of the round?

The coupling that came with my dryer cracked on day one. I made one to replace it in 5 mins.

If you find the right material rigid foam you could drill undersize and use a snug fit, there is no real torsion introduced by the drying process.

#4 ·
the shaft has one land on it for a set screw to rest - I figured I'd get a coupling no problem and put a shaft through whatever foam I was going to use...yeahright. friggin' metrics

I'll probably go with the press-fit Juro suggested...

Thanks for the info - McMasters catlogue is under the desk & Grangers is a short walk too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.