Fly Fishing Forum banner

Another nice angel

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  admin 
#1 ·

Nice thing about the angel hair flies is that the variety of color choices is so wide that you can come up with some very nice blends. Here's one where I tried blending in some short sections of pink/red for a gill effect.

See less See more
#2 ·
Bob, I am coming up with some nice small angel hair flies which I tye from the pile of angel hair scrap that ends up on my table after I tye several larger angel hair flys. The blending of all the colors is fantastic. With the large pile of white the mix is really something and I usually get at least three small flies( 1 1/2 to 2 inches). Can't wait to try them on schoolies.

#3 ·
Excellent idea John, are you dubbing the small pieces on and then 'picking the strands out' or are you trying to comb the pices before you tie them in?

Another good use for the small pieces is to tie some #2 / #4 clousers Could be a great shad fly?!?

#4 ·
Bob, I am combing before I tye on. Other times I am just tying a clump on ,then combing out and then tying on the amount that would have been just combed out. I have one that is a combination of white, silver, blue and green and it looks exactly like a small silverside if I were to place it side by side. No layering of two ot three colors in clear separation but rather a bait fish that is entirely the mixed colors .

#6 ·
juro, I bought it from Mike Martinek and he had no name for it but I ordered more from him and I asked him if it was the same as Gartsides "secret Stuff" and he confessed that it was. It was $5 per pack where Gartside sells it for $10.

#13 ·
striblue (03-19-2001 09:35 p.m.):
Bob, I am coming up with some nice small angel hair flies which I tye from the pile of angel hair scrap that ends up on my table after I tye several larger angel hair flys. The blending of all the colors is fantastic. With the large pile of white the mix is really something and I usually get at least three small flies( 1 1/2 to 2 inches). Can't wait to try them on schoolies.
How DO you get those almost perfectly round epoxy heads? Is it just pure unadulterated skill or a mold of some kind?

#14 ·
Tin Man... I asked the same question of Bob . He told me, and he will add anything I miss. He will stick the Eyes on and place the epoxy a small amounts at a time at the gaps between where the eyes are stuck on and the shank... the key is not to cover the eyes with epoxy. I have tried this and it creates a perfect round head after you do the usual rotation and the epoxy. the roundness also depends on how much thread is on the hook shank at the eye, because with a big eye you need greater distance between them to create a perfect circle.. But you do not have to. even with a small gap it creates a great head.

#16 ·
John, sorry that you had to step in with the answer as I've not been as attentive (of late) to the board as I should. Suffering the curse of self-employment. That being said, your directions were excellent. I'd only add that the best tool I've found for applying those small amounts is a bodkin. I've also gone to using a bodkin to mix my epoxy. I lay it almost flat against the post-it padand fold the two components over each other quickly. It seems to create far less air bubbles as you mix.

#17 ·
Bob -

I'd like to ask about your photography methods too - I am faced with trying to do justice to the steelhead swap flies the last of which just came in the mail.

Can you provide some insight as to how you got such great shots?

thanks,
Juro

#19 ·
if you get a bubbly mix in your epoxy, try 4 seconds in the microwave. gets rid of em. it will make the epoxy very liquid as well. and it will speed the set time up just a but too. Tom D

#20 ·
My home office is in an attic dormer (read "low ceiling height") and I have halogen track lighting right over my desk. I used the track lighting as my primary source and used the camera's flash for fill. Macro settings on the lens, tripod with remote shutter release. I still need to figure out the background texture, color, distance stuff. With macro settings you have a limited depth of field but I was still getting too much detail of the background. I also think it made a difference having the film processed to a digital output rather than scanning prints. Since I don't shoot digital directly (yet ) I can't compare those two but the digital shots that you had from last year were pretty impressive.
Might be interesting to see if shooting with kodachrome instead of print film..?!?

#21 ·
Are you referring to the ones I did of yours flies at SSully's tying clave during the winter? Most credit goes to the machine (Sony TRV900 Camcorder) since it has 3 CCD's.

Here's a movie of it as well:

http://webpages.charter.net/mikemahler/images/FlyClave.mpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.