• Felt Sole

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Studded sole

Votes: 7 87.5%

Felt sole or Studded soles????

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  fredaevans 
G
#1 ·
Out of felt sole and studded sole wich is better for the all around river walking. Slippery bottoms, snow ice??

#2 ·
For snow and ce, it would be hard to beat studs. As for fishing and wading, it depends on the composition of the rock. If it is volcanic or a little soft, studs stick like a cat on carpet. If the rock is hard and smooth, I find that the studs tend to "skate" unpredictably. I prefer the progressive slipping of felt. Look what's on the soles of the
oldtimers" in you area.

#4 ·
Use what you NEED!

Conditions vary. Because I fish in ALL kinds of conditions, I have felt soles, a pair of studded felt, and my winter jobs of Aqua-Stealth studded. It depends on the conditions you fish - there is NOT a single type thsat works for everything.

BobK

G
#5 ·
ok

Thanks for the info, maybe I will go and buy a pair. I will be getting my first job pertty soon, cause I am just turning 16. Right now I have felt and they have worked in all the conditions that I have encountere, but I havent envountered ice yet.

Geoff

#9 ·
I have felt and studs both. So is that the best of both worlds? I know nothing holds in mud. But I do like these boots, moss covered rocks,no problem.

As for your poll I didn't vote as Mine boots have both on them.

Jim

What he said.:eyecrazy:

G
#11 ·
Get the Aqua stealths either with or witout the studs. They are like hiking boots and don't hold muck or snow like felt does. They also wear longer.

I have the Simms a-stealths with studs and wear them year round. With no issues, you can climb trees with these babies. My nest pair will be straight a-stealths which will come in handier in saner conditions.

#12 ·
Felt or studs...

... ahh, but which one is quieter when wading? :p
I like my felt soles, but there have been times wading on slippery bottoms when I couldn't help but think that studded soles would provide a bit more stability. Because some of the warmwaters I fish require a brief hike through the wilderness, up and down the sides of hills, and more than once I've ended up on my back because I slipped due to lack of traction, my next pair of wading boots will be studded.

#15 ·
What about Chota?

Who has experience with Chota wading boots with removable steel sheet metal screws in the soles? Leave them in for studs, remove them for felt.

What is your opinion of the Chota sheet metal screw vs. industry standard tungsten carbide tipped studs? The head of a sheet metal screw is much larger than the conventional small studs imbedded in felt.

What do you think of the Chota dark gray felt vs. industry standard white felt?

Do you think the harder circular area surrounding the Chota screw hole reduces the boot traction when screws are removed?

I have boots with the 10X climbing rubber, and find them fine for hiking, but less effective than felt when fishing. It seems a tradeoff decision between accessing the river and wading the river.

#16 ·
Chotas

Heard and read a lot of good reports on Chotas in the "trade press" when they first came out. Actual user's reports lately have been downright bad! (especially on the studs) Of course, these are all "hearsay".

Anyone own 'em? We need a factual report.

Concerning wading shoes, I now own 3 pairs - felt soled, studded felt, and studded aqua-tread. Each has its own use where it shines. Hate to say it, guys, but if you fish in a multitude of conditions, terrain and summer and winter, all 3 are needed. When I only fished local streams during spring/summer, felts were all I needed. But when you start "chasing chrome" in the snow, and on some varying stream bottoms, it gets interesting!

BobK

#17 ·
I was going to post a question similar to yours. Can you simply screw sheet "high-quality" metal screws into felt soles? I think I've read that it can be done, but I don't want to "screw up" my wading boots only to find out that it's not a good idea. I have Hodgeman wading boots, if it matters.

#19 ·
Dosen't it depend on where you are fishing and the type of river bottom... I would use felt most of the time..but it would be suicide on a river like the Salmon River in Pulaski if you don't have studs or corkers to walk on that shale.

#20 ·
Re: Chotas

BobK said:
Heard and read a lot of good reports on Chotas in the "trade press" when they first came out. Actual user's reports lately have been downright bad! (especially on the studs) Of course, these are all "hearsay".

Anyone own 'em? We need a factual report.

BobK
I've got three pair of studded felt bottom boots: two are - and the strong preferrence - are Chota's. The other is/has a standard (simms) felt tire studs. The chota's for the Rogue have a few leg-ups: first the bottom (rare occation) if you're on snow they don't seem to get the 4" build up of regular felt soles. Secondly, the screw in sheet metal type screws can be replaced if necessary without having to completly 're-sole' the boot. Thirdly, they're the easiest boot to get in/out of I've run into with their unique lacing.

Lastly they have more/larger studs than most felt bottom boots I've seen. And the Rogue is not an easy river bottom to wade.

Only thing better (and I do mean much better) are the "stream cleat" over shoe slip on type boots. These have aluminum bars and you can run up the side of a tree with these things on. Only draw back is they can be a bit of a pain to take on/off. AND YOU DO want to take them off at the end of the day to allow your boots to properly dry out. Don't and the thread used to attach the boot sole will rot out over a couple of seasons.
fae

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.