Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rip Trip ????? Now????

2K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  FishHawk 
#1 ·
I am heading for Chatham atleast for the next two, three weeks.... and long weekends after.... with things as they are...in late summer...I am thinking that we should speak with keith about a rip trip...maybe two and head down despite favorable tides at mid day...just go.... explore the flats down there, the ocean side as well as the rip itself..... I will call Keith tonight and ask him what days are good for him to be able to pull this off.....First attempt should be a day during the week of July 29th... pull that off ,and immediatly schedule another trip...etc.. etc. I will set up a post to sign up once the day is set... and do the usual... with back ups...hopefully all who sign up can go if we shedule back to backs, etc...depending on what Keith rules...Any thoughts on all of this...

#4 ·
Garry, I am TRYING by getting somewhere else:chuckle: .... we have nothing to lose...besides it's always a great trip one way or another....Juro... I will get the bead on your points by calling Keith first beore speaking with Mike.

#6 ·
I don't see any great tides for the rip this season but will do it on a mediocre one anyway jus' cuz.

Top end flats need to be checked even though NM has been lackluster. My strategy is to fish the corner created by the southway on the ocean side as well as checking the inside flats.

Next month it will be a death trap for bunker streaming up the shoreline.

I can only imagine the sculpting that corner is experiencing from surf misdirection and that kind of habitat will make the deep eel feel right at home even in the dog days.

#14 ·
I'd be up for it if the date(s) work out. I have lots of short conflicts scattered in the calendar, so it's hit or miss. It's a 10 hour RT, but Warren I go right past your Sunapee exit.

#15 ·
I am calling Keith tonight and will be down in Chatham starting this Friday morning.... Once Keith gives me the low down... I would be looking at week days or weekends.... and several schedules.... One trip is no good... several is more like it....later...john...............FishHawk- call...Larry...I will wait to hear from you... and I have contacted Juro....CAC is open this weekend as the kids will not be down until Sunday. I am expecting to figure out places on the boat for everyone if Keith can do multiple trip on various days...

#16 ·
Vt Loon, Yes you do and I might not mind some company for the ride down one day . It is 3+ hours from here depending on traffic. Getting there fist thing in the morning is not bad. It is leaving on Sunday afternoon that can be a real drag some days.

#18 ·
Rip Trips

Got your message John, I am working day and night right now trying to have the Rip Ryder 4 ready for inspection on Aug 3. If you can hold off until after the 3rd the trips will be much easier with the new boat. We will have more of a wind window to play with.

There are two drops available to us out there, (trying not to give to many details on location), but one of course is the rip and the other involves flats and easy access to the east beach. The areas are well signed for the birdies and there nests. Jim S and a few others did a recon and enjoyed the area.

I would like to have 10 minimum with a max of 20. The fee to either drop off is $30 per person.

I will keep you posted on the inspection as we are penciled in for the 3rd, if all the work gets done on time.

Capt Keith

#26 ·
New Dropoff...

has a lot of potential. I won't disclose its exact location, but it has a lot of structrure and should fish well at the right tides. While there at the end of June, the stripers were there sipping on the surface. I suspect krill or YOY shrimp. You'll like it, and lots of room to spread out. But, don't forget the tip and the rip. Toward the end of August, the funny fish should be showing if we get the right water temps.

See everyone around 25 August for the duration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.