Fly Fishing Forum banner

A Mountain of Thanks

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Geordie Shanks 
#1 ·
A few seasons ago I lost my rod. It was my first time flyfishing the Skagit and only my second time flyfishing for steelhead. For whatever reason, my rod popped out of my rod holder on my pontoon, and it was swallowed up by the mighty Skagit. I was sure that it was gone forever. I can't really describe the devistation and embarassment.

But then a miracle happened. Another flyfisherman found my rod and posted a thread on this forum. I couldn't believe it.

Riveraddict found my rod and returned it to me-- I can't thank him enough. I credit Riveraddict, this website, and the strong community of steelhead flyfishermen for saving me from depression and agony. This forum is very powerful.

I have since landed a few steelhead with my returned rod, and each time I hold a steelhead in my hands I thank Riveraddict and this forum.

A mountain of thanks!!

Merry Christmas

Sincerly,

Andrew

See less See more
#2 ·
Great story! Makes it all worthwhile for me and those who have sustained the site through the years I am sure.

Well if Riveraddict touched the rod it's sure to turn into a fish magnet! At least gain some seriously positive juju. :smokin:

I hope to fish with the Skagit guru his bad self this spring.

#3 ·
Hey, Ex,

Your anecdote makes a great point: people do suffer loss. Too often the "finders-keepers" mindset takes hold and we don't go to the extra trouble needed to track down the owner of valuable tackle and make every effort to return it.

Your post shows how important and worthwhile this effort is.

Cheers,

Eric

#5 ·
great story

What an absolutely fantastic story. We all need to hear stories like this because too often we hear about someone stepping in on us, or crowding us, or rude behavoir on the river and its good to know that fly fisherman are, generally, a solid and trustworthy group. We're all in this together and it is great to see that manifest itself every now and then. Nice work addict. Of course, it gives me false hope that a nice sage/hardy outfit I dumped in the Madison about seven years ago when I corned a rock with my driftboat will turn up now. One can only hope. By the way, the Madison is not the river to "learn the ropes" on rowing when you get a new driftboat. FYI. Anyway, thanks for the great story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.