Fly Fishing Forum banner

Casting a splitshot with an indicator

9K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  t_richerzhagen 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and new to fly fishing. I'm not having any trouble casting dry flies but when I attempt to cast a nymph with a splitshot and an indicator, it becomes a catastropic tangled mess. Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Thanks.

#8 ·
I guess you are trying to nymph a run in moving water. Work your line out and let it drift down stream. At the end of your drift lift the rod to get your rig moving upstream and then without backcasting flop the whole thing up stream. You should be able to cast 20 feet or so up stream that way. Raise your rod or strip in line as the indicator drifts toward you and do the opposite as it passes by. Set on the slightest movement of the indicator and do not be surprised to pick up fish at the end of the drift as you lift to cast again. Everyone gets a rats nest from time to time but by avoiding back casting you will get fewer.

#9 ·
The Art of Speycasting

"Spey-O-Rama" 2004 video has a nice presentation showing single hand spey casting with an indicator and shot. The spey cast has some real advantages, with a single hand or double hand rod. One is that the shot is not passing your head or rod, so less chance of a disaster on connection. A second, is that there might be less tendency for the tangles you have been experiencing. Give it a try. Of course that also means that you need to learn how to spey cast, if you do not already have that technique.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.