Fly Fishing Forum banner

DFix SBD Flyswap entry

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
This is Dave Fix's entry in the Simple But Deadly fly swap. I'll let Dave fill in the recipe for the Clouser minnow.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I'm so Goddamned stupid I didn't remember I'd done that. Figured since I couldn't decide what I wanted to tie, I'd go with a recognized idea.

I'll get to the pattern later, but there ain't a lot of steps. Rich, that's pearl or rainbow - I have to look when I get home.

Signed, Lost in work. :rolleyes:

Hook: Mustad Signature S 71S SS #4
Thread: Chartreuse- Size A; Flat Wax Nylon; 3/0; your choice.
Pearl Krystal Flash
Chartreuse Bucktail wing
White Bucktail underwing
Brass beadchain eyes

Tie on; apply eyes approx. one eyewidth behind hook eye. lap thread to back of eye; secure.

Four strands Krystal Flash mounted behind eye; flat wrapped along shank to above barb and back to eye; secure. Krystal Flash will flatten when wrapped along a hook shank, if drawn out through it's length during each wrap. Also, it's important at times, just like when building a full dress salmon fly body, to make sure you wrap flat and not kinked.

Apply small (1/16" diameter grab or smaller) white underwing. As picture shows, you get better tip matching with long-fibred bucktail. If you feel a need to count fibres, so be it. Same with wing. (HINT - if you want to be creative, try mixing a very little lavender, pink and purple bucktail into your chartreuse wing - VERY LITTLE - three or four fibres each, no more. Any one odd color that overpowers the others, or stands out like a sore thumb, reduce fibre count. They must be mixed to achieve effect.) Match butts; apply behind eye with one or two loose positioning wraps while pinching bunch with fingertips; position and bind down; secure. Do not let the wing bunch splay and chase around the hook shank when tightening.

Take two to six strands Pearl Krystal Flash, distribute; apply. Taper head toward hook eye, finish and tie off; apply some deep penetrating head cement. If you choose, you may build the head with a second coat of high gloss finish, quick set epoxy, what have you.

(More words than I thought :whoa: :hehe: - kinda like I heavy tie most things :eyecrazy: )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.