Fly Fishing Forum banner

Looking ahead.....

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Adrian 
#1 ·
I know that it's a bit early, but I'm looking ahead to next year. My wife and I have no weddings, major anniversary events, graduations, etc. slated for 2003, which means that I'll be able to fish more than I currently am. That being said, I want to see how much interest there would be in a couple of warm water claves.

First, a pike clave. Adrian, Roop and I explored some backwater areas of the CT and Salmon Rivers back in April, and I believe that this is an untapped flyfishery in these parts. I've continued my scouting and discovered through my own efforts and via the grapevine that there are more easy access, small craft friendly waters that will be full of pike next April. A great way to start things off.

Second, a bronzeback clave. I've seen it discussed here before, and I would really like to see this happen. There is some great smallie action here it CT, but I'm open to suggestions for other locales. The river fish here really don't get reliably active until late June, and dragging some salties away from the Cape might be a chore. If the interest is there, I say let's do it.

I'll bring this up again in the new year. I'll meister at least one (pike) and maybe both if they both fall in my location.

Food for thought. Any interest?

See less See more
#3 ·
Would you consider Lake Winnepesaukee for the bronzeback clave? It's really a jewel of a lake, crystal clear and smallies up to 5 or more pounds.

I get booked pretty solid around late May / early June but that's the prime time to do it.

I think we should do a trout stream clave too.

#4 ·
Winnepesaukee sounds good to me. I'm not familiar with the area, so we'd have to defer to someone else to be the meister for that location. But the chance to tangle with 5 pound smallies in clear water would make for a great clave.

I also have some problems with the end of May (wedding anniversary), but depending on the severity of the winter and how late the thaw is, we could conceivably have this clave as late as the second week in June. There's a good chance that there would still be some hungry post-spawn fish at a decent flyrod depth.

Fun to think about!:cool:

#5 ·
Would be nice to get back up to NH again. Visited a few times back int he 90s but never fished FW. Stayed at Bee Maes (sp?) on the lake. Smallie sleighride sounds like fun.

Trout clave would be cool too. The locals say that the Housatonic in April is great for the Hendrickson hatch. Lots of large fish eating flies you can actually see and great access. I'll be happy to meister that one ;)

Hey, hang about, we're not done with this season yet ............. :smokin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.