Fly Fishing Forum banner

Acklins on the mind...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Acklins bonefishing has been popping up more and more in conversation lately... within the next month or two we will be planning out the winter trips to our oasis in the turquiose sea.

Please consider joining us this winter as the veterans will attest it's an experience unmatched and perfect for the Forum traveler.

There is also the option of having Bob Berquist hook us up with local Bahamian guides (like Elvis who guided Nick Price on ESPN) for a fraction of the lodge cost, and of course the lodges themselves are right up the street depending on your preferences for the week.

The price levels vary from DIY to hosted to lodge, in increasing order. All are available. The accomodations are fantastic thanks to Felton Rolle, all the comforts of home and an easy walk to one of the most active flats.

When the bitter cold winds blow and the icy streets get old, it's time for a little Acklins relief - "only heaven is better".

I look forward to the adventure ahead of us this winter in Acklins!

See less See more
#2 ·
Acklins on the mind

Juro
I've been thinking about going to Acklins. Let me know of the winter plans. I spoke to Bob Berquist and may take a trip end of FEB with my wife (she fishes). Neither of us have ever fly fished for bones. What type gear would you suggest, rods, lines etc.,. I was supposed to go to Gaspe' in Sept. but it didn't work out. Maybe a DIY trip if you have room for a total rookie.
Greg

#5 ·
I am also quite interested in going. How do I find out more about the trip such as approximate cost and how many days for DIY and for hosted. Also, have you guys considered chartering a flight from FL directly to Aklins? Many times the flight from Nassau to Aklins necessitates staying over night. A direct flight might be about the same when all costs for an overnight are factored in.

#6 ·
Adam,

Trip costs are about $1200 to $1400 for all in straight DIY. Like anything else it can be as expensive as you want to make it with the option of lodges and guides on the island.

We looked into charters our first year and decided that it was not cost effective. We have a great system in place right now where we all fly into Nassau on Friday night, stay at a nice little place with great food. The first night is a lot of fun and necessary as all food for the trip needs to be purchased and carried over from Nassau.

We make the quick hop to Acklins Saturday morning and we're on the flats by noon.

There are two options for the return. You can fly out either Wednesday or Saturday. I highly recommend staying the week, as there's just too much ground to cover in three days.

Stay tuned, there will be a lot more details on this after the fall run as things start to cool down on the east coast.

Dave

#8 ·
First night in Nassau is a HOOT! Great way to kick off the trip. Thanks to Bob's recommendations we now have hot meals delivered in Acklins too :smokin:

Adam, if you are 100% serious then you will be added to the ridiculous bonefisher's club.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.