Fly Fishing Forum banner

Albright

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
Do you tie your albright knots with a lock? I always start with one but after a few pulls on the standing part of the line the lock pulls away from the albright and eventually comes undone. Now, with that said I haven't had an albright come undone even without the lock but don't want to lose the fish of a lifetime when it happens for the first time. I'm only looking to use this knot on clear intermediate lines where I don't want the bulk or coloring of other connections.

Thanks,

Sean

#6 ·
Juro,

You will use a slim beauty knot to connect a leader butt to a fly line? I played around with the Slim Beauty this winter for shock tippet but can't see wrapping the much thicker fly line around the leader butt. Maybe I'm missing something and will take another look at the knot.

Sean,

I always seat and test the knot before I add any adhesives. I guess in this case I should go a little easier with the tests and apply the knot sense.

Skilly,

I just googled "Slim Beauty Knot" and the first entry should have everything you need including video instruction.

Thanks,

Sean

#7 · (Edited)
Hell no, I just re-tied a GSP backing knot on my 6/nine bonefish reel with it and like the knot. You didn't mention leader to flyline (or at least I didn't see it)

Let me turn your question around... would you tie an albright to attach a leader to a fly line? I never do over a well tied nail knot, which I use even on slime lines and never have pull offs.

In fact the most pull offs I've ever experienced have been with sinking lines because of the coating being a little brittle with the impregnated tungsten and that only after a really hard snag on a rock, never on a fish or snag with any kind of give to it.

The compression that a well tied nail knot can achieve by pulling on opposite ends (one tightens the opposite end) is significant and I have had no problems with nail knots to attach butt to line.

The use of the double eyed needle allows you to tighten and arrange your wraps before you tighten (unlike the wide-gap knot tyer tool) so you can bite down hard on both ends.

(Edit notes: I renegged on the "inferior" statement - the albright is of course very strong just stating my preference to knot have a bulky knot that never seems completely finished off to attach my leader)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.