Fly Fishing Forum banner

Dan's GL's Nymphing Flyline

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  pmflyfisher 
#1 ·
I am always creating new lines and adding to my many ideas I already have. I find that when nymphing in the great lakes, if you don't have a good line, it won't turnover and allow precise casting. Something I did when creating a spey line for the GL's is use a double taper(7wt.) and cut the line after about 25ft' then made a loop and used a nymph taper in an 8wt.(shorter head and no belly) behind that. The extended 25' of DT line taper down from the thciker butt section. When you roll cast you can feel a power transfer as the heavier nymph taper pushes the butt end of the DT line and allows the line to turonver. This is great when nymphing as well since you don't have to worry about the weight(yes, many GL steelheaders use soft putty, splitshot, and bead head nymphs) and indicators not turning over. It's truly a great lakes setup, what do you think?

I wanted to add a few comments. Latley(last 2 years) I have been hearing about how great "euro" rods are, and their advantages over traditional rods. Personally, I own one rod that has a fast, european action which I use in the surf and larger rivers where I can swtich cast and use the tip to lay out longer casts. In our Great Lakes region, the rivers are typically smaller and backcasts can be impossible at times. I find that a traditional rod may be more suited for roll casting and laying out line since the flex allows certain casts needed on smaller rivers to be performed easier. Now if I had the money, I would buy the Lamiglas traditional spey, but I don't so I had to invest in a lower end rod. The St. Croix 13' 7/8 rod has a moderate action, but I find that performs roll, single spey, double spey, and snake roll casts very easily, and bends to the upper part of the butt. It isn't a full flex, but it flexes easily and provides good turnover. It is a great indicator rod too, and turns over a DT line easily.

See less See more
#2 ·
Ok I have to bite .Why do you have to do all of these things to your lines to catch fish ? How big are your Rivers ? C.F.S ? Where the Fish will be holding ? Your back cast ? Can you buy a few lines to cover all your need's , To catch fish ?Are your Rivers as big as our's out on the West Coast ?What about a shooting head ?Fish-head

#3 ·
ahhh....

Ok the answers to your questions:

The GL's rivers are generally small, less than 80', and sometimes as small as 20'. There are exceptions, such as the Muskegon, St. Mary's, Niagra, and more that are over 100' wide. The rivers are usually deep and have many pockets that cannot be fished effectively with west coast spey fishing techniques. There is very little room for backcasts on most rivers, and most people resort to single handed rods. I find that a two handed rod works great as you can control your line and keep it on the water longer. You can buy lines to cover your needs, but spey fishing envolves more. Most use a thin diamter, running line and add pencil lead or split shot and drift fish with it on a flyrod setup. I resort to more traditional methods, using a floating line and indicator to nymph, or multiple sinking tips to get down without the use of added weight. The line I explanined is practical. Double Taper lines are great since they can be roll casted, yet if the belly is not on the water than it is hard to turnover your leader. On the other hand, a WF line is great for loading the rod quickly and may be better than a DT at times since you need the line to pick up and reload without having to false cast as often. With this line I explained, you get a 25' head of DT line that butts up to a short headed nymph taper flyline, and are connected by loops. The nymph taper is WF and accelerates the line out with enough power it turns over the lighter DT line, and will allow effecitve presentation of indicators, splitshot, or the use of mini tips to get down. The nymph taper's head is about 30' long, and you have about 25' of DT line, so the overall length is about 55'. The "power hinge" affect is what causes the line to turnover, yet allows proper mending as well.

Hope I cleared this up!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.