Fly Fishing Forum banner

Great package trip

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Rick J 
#1 ·
Just returned from 4 days of fishing at Isla Blanca just north of Cancun. Stayed in Cancun at a great small hotel - a great package deal!! This is a great place for a shot at a slam or even a super slam (we did not see any snook but they are here). Our last day both my brother and I hooked a slam but did not land them all. Baby tarpon (to 20# so babys they may be but they sure tax an 8 wt!!). The tarpon are mostly off the mangroves in small schools but we would go right into the mangroves hunting them in small pockets of open water - lots of fun but deet was sure handy!!! Probably the most fun was stalking permit on the flats. Most permit we saw were behind the cruising rays. The guide had a killer crab pattern - very small - probably an 8 - felt body with epoxy back with no weight. You could often hit the permit right on the head without spooking them. The last permit my brother hooked (and finally landed) took out over 200 yards of backing and he was not a big permit by any stretch!! Not great numbers of fish but we had lots of opportunities. Accurate casts were an absolute must, often in the wind. Hope to make this an annual venture!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.