Fly Fishing Forum banner

Baby Tarpon: West Coast Florida: April?

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Eric 
#1 ·
Need some advice.

I get to go to Florida for a couple of weeks in April and was wondering what the story is on finding baby tarpon -- in canals, in the Gulf, in swimming pools, whatever.

Any advice you could give me on (sort of) where and when to go would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Eric

#3 ·
Hi, Mel,

Thanks for the response. I was beginning to think everyone was dead out there.

In reply to your question about casting blind to 5 and 10 pound fish as opposed to fishing for giant tarpon, you correctly surmised that I am a steelheader. As such, and preferring a fly rod to do the majority of my fishing with, I like fish in the 5 to 25 pound bracket. Then, too, I've never caught a tarpon and would like to experience the thrill of a hooking a manageable fish on an 8 to 10 wt outfit, and maybe catch a number of them, along with maybe a few reds, snook, ladyfish and specks if I had a chance.

Maybe after catching a number of smaller tarpon I would want to go after the giants, but right now it's more the experience I'm after, and baby tarpon are what I have my sights set on.

thanks again, and best wishes for total bookings,

Eric

#4 ·
Eric -

Just saw this. How the heck are you?! Long time buddy.

I agree with you on the baby tarpon thing. Although the first 10 minutes of a big tarpon fight would be a gas the other 50 minutes is not my idea of fun. Give me 20# anyday of the week.

April eh? Keep me informed of your schedule, with r/t flights running about $165 lately and friends on the keys, I just might have to do some recon if you don't mind the company. A far cry from the last place we fished.

Key question - what part of Florida?

#5 ·
Hi, Juro,

Sorry about the long hiatus -- moved to Waldport on the Oregon coast and sort of got buried with the details and the dunnage.

Glad to be back and thanks for the greeting.

I'll be in Florida April 19 - 28, fishing both the west coast (Gulf) and east coast in various places with my friend who lives near Gainesville. Mosquito Lagoon, Sabastian River, Ft. Myers and Engelwood are names that he's mentioned. I know absolutely nothing about these places, but am really looking forward to finding out.

I'd love to rendezvous with you whenever possible. That would be great. My friend's a cool guy -- wood boat builder of some mean talent -- and I'm sure we could accommodate another rod if it works out.

The forum has gained a lot of cool bells and whistles since my last diatribes were posted. Congratulations on a superb job.

Eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.