Fly Fishing Forum banner

Mission II

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Hawkeye 
#1 ·
We’ve got our list of words now so it is time to start the critiquing process. For convenience I have attempted to list the words in loose categories.

How it will work. Cut and paste the list of words to your e-mail program and rate each word using the following scale.

A = very important even critical to the mission statement
B = important but the mission statement might work without it
C = it could work but the mission statement will be fine without it
X = it really has no place in the mission statement

E-mail the rated list to me at gestey@mindspring.com. I will then compile the responses and post the list again organized by their “scores”. We can then have a short discussion/debate about the rated words if there is any strongly felt disagreement. With the final list of words it will be time for us to get creative.

Let's set the deadline for the rated list for Thursday evening.

Flyfishing
on the fly.
It's all about the flyfishing

Worldwide
Local
global
boundless community
community

Friendship
camraderie
teamwork
welcoming
when in doubt, assume the best
Meeting good people both in person and through this medium
conjoin
To clave and eat really wild chow in the process
Loyal
Relationship
fraternity
social network
network

sport

Environmental
conservation
helping maintain the resource
Leaving our fishy places and fish better for our kids than they have been for us.
Contribute ... to the sport
Environment
shared passion/love/respect of/for outdoors
Respect ... the resource
Fostering an appreciation of natures resources
environmentally aware and responsible
catch and release
concerned
positive force
getting outdoors

salt
fresh

all encompassing

fun
Tom and Huck ride again
have fun while fishing

sharing knowledge/experience
staying informed/active
swapping stories
Share....... what you know
Learn....... from others
Support .... one another
assist
benefit
support
inspiration from unexpected sources

interested
willing
pride in participation
Forthright
Vitality
Constructive
Dynamic
Synergy
Proactive
Charitable
egalite

Pause .. for ourselves

Agapé (For those of you – like me – who had no clue. Love that is spiritual in nature)
finding the universe in a grain of sand
constructive uses of winter angst
the OpenSource philosophy applied to social interaction
liberte

See less See more
#2 ·
Gregg -

Thanks for doing this, I just emailed mine to you.

For all who may be wondering why I did not participate in the thread of words that went into this... I just wanted to ensure that our mission statement was constructed by the words of the members, not mine.

I hope we (including me) remember that subtle point as time rolls on!

Juro

#3 ·
I can see now my contribution to the list of "To clave and eat really wild chow in the process" is not a statement that should be in a mission statement. What I did mean but failed to state it so, is simply "To Clave". I thought that was one of our founding activities and is of utmost importance since it separates us from other boards. I hope the process is not so formal now that I can't trim down the fluff (but hey, we do eat some wild chow). SO I am lobbying for a statement in the statement that emcompasses these activites. Maybe not "To Clave" maybe something like "To get together in some non computer activites in flesh in blood " or something along those lines. I hope to get my voting done today.

Thanks
Terry

#5 ·
Terry and all,

This is OUR mission statement so we can do whatever we like. This process is not designed to be rigid but rather to provide some guidance. The list generation will let us know what is important to us as a group - If I may make a metaphoric attempt at explanation - It will kind of give us a list of materials to create our killer fly. We don't have to use all the materials and we can trim or alter the materials to get that perfect effect.

That being said, I don't want to discourage comments like Terry's and Mike's. Quite the opposite and I should have thought to encourage it in addition to the e-mailing me your scored preferences. It will get too complicated for me to change the list and ask for new scoring so make your comments here and we should consider them when it comes to the actual writing of the statement.

#6 ·
To add a bit of fun (for me and hopefully for you) to this process I will deliver a couple of products from my vise to every participant. Your choices will be between striper, trout flies or a combination. Now my tying is far from elegant and the flies you get may be simple but I promise that they have been HIGHLY productive for me. In other words I wont inflict my experiments on you.

We've got 17 participants so far and I have recieved 3 word list ratings. I know we've got enough people out there to easily get me tying 1000 or more flies. Nothing would make me happier so make me busy!

#8 ·
Gregg, I am still somewhat computer illiterate except for the basis stuff, e-mails ,etc. I don't know how to attatch documents, but will get it staight. I would like to bring a hard copy of your list and mark them as indicated and give them to you at the tying clave if that's ok. Thanks for putting this together.

#10 ·
Ah, good questions.

I had intended for people to rate each word despite duplication. For those votes that were given an X or skipped because of the duplication issue I gave them the same score as their duplicate. I did this because a concept that is important to the group could get watered down. For example, I think we have the words environmental and environment in the list and if half the people give environmental an A and environment an X or nothing because of duplication while the other half do the oposite then the highest each would get is a "C1/2" when the "true" intent was an A for the concept. It should also be noted that the words in the "A" list may not necessarily all be used so if both environment and environmental were in the A list we would not be obligated to include them both. As a hypothetical if Pepsi went through this process they may have had a very large "A" list of words and concepts but "Beat Coke" ended up being thier mission statement because, to their way of thinking, it embodied everything on that list.

I hope I didn't, but fear I did, confuse the issue more. Ask more questions if needed and I'll try to clarify.

I guess I did a little divining of intent so if anyone wants to alter their votes just let me know what to change or resubmit your vote and I'll take care of it.

As far as hard copies that will be fine. You can either give them to me at the clave or mail them to me at:

1 Brook Street
Suite 7
Scituate, MA 02066

If you are going to snail mail me your list let me know so I include it in the final posting. If I don't hear from any snail mailers I will post the results Friday or Saturday. Because we have not had a lot of responses (about 10) I am bumping the deadline by a day to Friday at 5pm. This really works best if everyone participates, even the lurkers (I've already got a couple lurker votes.), so get your votes in and be heard.

#11 ·
13 entries so far with one more for sure comming in at the clave. Get those entries in and be heard. When I set the last deadline I forgot about the clave entries so the deadline is Saturday when I get back from the clave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.