Fly Fishing Forum banner

Our Mission

3K views 23 replies 18 participants last post by  MarkDoogue 
#1 ·
Having a clearly defined mission is one of the most important things an organization or individual can have to assure they get where they want to go. Properly developed and used, a mission statement will be an expression of our most heartfelt values and principles and will be the criterion against which we measure all that we do.

The process of developing a mission statement is as important as the result. Everyone should be involved from the most active poster and meister to the once in a blue moon poster. I am proposing that we begin this process now before we make changes that could take us off course.

The process is simple and begins with a brainstorming session in which we list the words or concepts that we think would be important to include in our mission statement. Later we will narrow the list down and finally we will meld the list into a coherent statement.

So let’s begin with the brainstorming. There are only a couple rules.

1. There’s no critiquing at this stage. So for instance if I suggested snagging as a concept we should embrace no one should shout me down or even suggest I go elsewhere.
2. Everyone participates. So if you’re a lurker it’s time to jump in and know you are welcome.

As you think about this try to keep in mind that a mission statement is detected not invented. Consider the feelings you have experienced and the associations you have made while participating in our activities and discussions.

I’ve got a lot of ideas but I’ll just start us out with a few to get the ball rolling and I’ll chime in again later.

Flyfishing
Worldwide
Local
Friendship

One final thought. A mission statement can take any form and be short and sweet to elaborate and eloquent. One of my favorite mission statements was only two words long. It was for Pepsi Cola and simply read "Beat Coke".

See less See more
#2 ·
Gregg, sounds like a plan. I have participated in a number of session to develpo Corporate mission statements as well as my own corportate area... You are starting the right way, but we will need alot of participation and the process will be longer through the web medium. Definning words is a start as to what we are.. How but these.. "sport" ,"Environmental" , "salt", "fresh", to add to yours?

#3 ·
With regards to the latest discussion about membership, mission statement, direction of Forum, etc... it has been my experience through numerous professional and fly fishing listservers, BBSs and the like over the past 10 years, that no structure at all leads to a free for all, and with growth come all kinds of problems in this freewheeling mode. On the other hand, tight rules or impositions become very restrictive and many don't feel included or represented and leave. In my opinion, moderate "guidance" or "direction" and at times, "forcefulness" mixed with a general 'laissez faire' attitude, will get the job done right. The key word, in my opinion, is "moderate". I think Juro described is as walking a tight line. And indeed, walking a tight line is required to make things last. I also happen to think like Hawkeye, that the idea of a mission statement is paramount. Here are my four words: global, camraderie, all encompassing, on the fly.

#8 ·
as someone from afar I have always thought these words applied:

welcoming, friendship, interested, willing.

Thanks to all who made it that way.

#10 ·
Jen - you always could put an end to my melancholic silences....

<li><i>Agapé</i>
<li>inspiration from unexpected sources
<li>pride in participation
<li>Tom and Huck ride again
<li>finding the universe in a grain of sand
<li>constructive uses of winter angst
<li>the <!--http--><a href="http://www.opensource.org/intro.html" target="_blank">OpenSource philosophy</a><!--url--> applied to social interaction
<li>when in doubt, assume the best

#12 ·
Yes, that should be the way... I can see already a number of repitions in the words chosen so those are the keys to beginning the process and if everyone gives a few sentences or even a paragraph with the chosen words we'd be almost there. I think this process and exercise is a good idea even if we can't agree on anything but the choice of words already shows some commonality .

#13 ·
All I have to say is fishing is having fun with a group of like minded people who care about the environment and the fishery. I have gone on trips with friends who could not relax and leave there jobs at home and as a result they weren't focused and didn't catch many fish. What attracted me to this board is that everyone seems to want to have fun and cares about fish. So my statement would be to have fun
while fishing. FishHawk

#14 ·
Leaving our fishy places and fish better for our kids than they have been for us. Meeting good people both in person and through this medium.

Al D your up here in my neck of the woods. If you have some winter angst you would like to shed in a constructive way I have just the ticket for you. There is a group of homeless Alewives not far from here who would like their stream made clear so they come home this spring. If your interested let me know.

#18 ·
This is great stuff! I'm thinking we should keep this part of the process going for about a week - say next Monday. My other easy words have all been used so I'll do some "detecting" for some more. Lets keep it going! I think there are one or two people we haven't heard from yet.
(Heavy sarcasm) BTW is there a symbol for sarcasm?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.