Fly Fishing Forum banner

stripping basket

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
So I am starting to get one together. Found this insert online for cheap and wonder if it will work OK.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That'll work nice!

That's the same unit I've been using for 3 seasons, or at least appears to be. If so, it fits nicely in rubbermaid's 11.5 quart or 17 quart tubs. Mine came with two-sided tape but once that fell off I used small nylon screws and nuts with rubber washers and cut off the excess after tightening. Been tight for the third season now.

Dave, I am about to pull the trigger on a case of those b-cups you found, thank you. I'll be using plumbers goop or marine goop to hold them in place, just goop, push and let dry. Probably best if I laid something on top of the cones to hold them in place while drying. If you need any let me know, finders fee :D

I have been playing with new baskets since the big rods let so much running line out to play, I need a bigger basket than those standard rubbermaids. I think those cones will be awesome, also playing with very simple designs that are working well too.

Will post a report after field testing FWIW.

#4 ·
Recent thought on the topic...

I was climbing around the north shore the other day and noticed that a clear stripping basket is a tremendous advantage. Of course you could swivel the basket back, but if your line is in it that causes problems and I didn't want to reel in.

Anyway, a clear basket and cones would be a great safety aid. Not seeing your next step is a serious liability on slippery rocks.

You heard it here first folks! :hehe:

#5 ·
Juro how are you dealing with drainage?

Figure I could just drill holes through the black cone tray and rubbermaid basket. Are slits in the sides of the basket reccomended? We really do not have surf condiitons here but I have been known to step of ledges and soak myself....

#7 ·
Hi Sean! Re holes in the bottom of your basket.

It's been a lot of years since I used a stripping basket, but the one thing I found was 'big holes,' and lots of them made a heck of a difference ...... if you took a dunking.

These 'baskets' will hold close to 1.5-2 gallons of water ... that's a lot of weight when you're already 'thrashing around.''

If the 'tubs' bottom is flat enough, another good way to put them in is with Barge Cement. 100% waterproof, etc.

fae

#10 ·
I have that same insert and the cones work fine-You can also cut it up and just use the cones you need to fit any sort of basket.

Juro, let's talk baskets! Damn I have been through a bunch of baskets, and every single one of them has drawbacks. The only thing worse than all of these baskets is not having a basket.

For the big rods in the surf though, I can definitvely state that as far as I am concerned, deeper is better, and no damn holes.

The solve for the swimming issue is always have a quick-release belt. If you take a dip, just ditch the belt. Plastic is cheap, don't take a chance to save it.

The new intermediate running lines really like a bit of water in the bottom of the basket to shoot nicely. Hard to keep water in the basket with holes.

#11 ·
Just a tad more on why my 'more holes the better.'

"Water" has come within a whisker (three times) of snuffing me; none were the least bit fun. And I'm not talking about just a dunking. I've been damned lucky, probably why I infrequently 'wade' much out beyond me knees. It's an 'there are old Pilots, and bold Pilots, but no old/bold Pilots thing.'

Quick release, or no, when you're up to your fanny in Ale-Gators, fumbling for a belt buckle is the last thing on your mind. Hydrolic's (sp?) just don't care ........

Trust me on that one.

#13 ·
Great thread!

I've been working on a basket design for a few years, here features include:

- beer holder
- bedpan
- fish finder...

:devil:

Seriously folks...

I actually have been working on a stripping basket design. The belt system is quick release but the belt stays on and the basket is discarded in an emergency.

Holes...

IMHO the optimal system is a closed compartment with small scuppers, although I wanted to keep that under my hat until it was done :smokin: Screens keep debris from fouling them.

Water when allowed to enter the basket agitates the line and causes fouling bigtime. This is a problem when water is allowed to remain in the basket, like when you wade deep with anything that has holes. Scuppers are one-way and don't let water in, then drain as soon as they can automatically, a simple lift will drain or when you wade back toward shore, etc.

For dishpans cut the lip off on the side toward your beer belly and it will bend to a comfortable form when tightened.

Cones absolutely...

I just field tested the most simple device - cut any tube of sufficient diameter at a 45ish angle to create a frustrum, then cut very close to the bottom edge of the ellipse and glue to the bottom. Align the highest sides of these to face the middle radially, so the slopes encourage the line to fall away from the center, yet when the line is shot it encourages the line to fly to the center toward the stripping guide. Worked like a champ! Far beyond expectations. Total cost of prototype less than $4.

Based on the success I will be cutting clear lucite tubes of maybe 1.5" diam and using plastic weld to fix to a clear 17 quart (verses 11.5 qt rubbermaid) tub. I'll prototype the snap-off safety belt on the next one I make.

Beer holder comes with hydration hose

:chuckle:

#14 ·
Juro - I'm sure I couldn't use any new gear or justify it, short of two new superduper pelagic freight train stoppers, due to the extremely limited time I can devote to actual fishing. Thanks anyway; maybe next season.

Also, I can picture the design of a quick release basket belt; I may have to make myself one.

["For dishpans cut the lip off on the side toward your beer belly and it will bend to a comfortable form when tightened."]
(Intellectual Property Rights argument coming up here :rolleyes: - I'm copyrighting this next idea :eyecrazy: )

Hey, Any of you that want to heat your HDPE dish basins to fit your amazingly 'svelte' figures :eek: should use your high-temp paint remover gun to soften the plastic to custom fit to the model.

Isn't it interesting that the basket hole v. no-hole debate generates such lively discourse. My basket(s) are solid bottom, though I can agree with those who like drainage.

#18 ·
Seriously though...

if you think about it, the mass and area never increases along a vertical direction from the base, which is a full cylindrical form, up the elliptical face to the tip, like a cone but optically less convincing. In fact it is always decreasing if you took profile scans going up from the bottom of the tub to the tip.

Furthermore, the angle of the elliptical face directs the line in the direction you want without restricting it, thus I placed them all so that the sloped point away from the center. As the line falls, it falls away from the congested center if it hits happens to lay on one of the uprights.

When shooting line, the line is sloped upward toward the center, where the line needs to go to enter the stripping basket.

It's got the merit of simplicity, yet is very effective. Don't know why I didn't (couldn't) think of it earlier, you should've seen some of the bizzare foam-injected radial ribbed for your casting pleasure contraptions I have made over the years! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.