Fly Fishing Forum banner

What's a Bella Coola fly?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  j.c. 
#1 ·
I'm going to alaska late august early september, and when I was looking for what flies I should tye I once read about a Bella Coola.
But I can't find any picture ore tying instructions, I'm also interested in any other must have flies for this season in alaska...
Thanks for the help.
j.c.

#2 ·
if I remeber right it is tied with orange glow bug yarn as a tail, cut failry short, the body is yellow chenielle ribbed with tinsel, and the wing is glowbug yarn. I dont believe there is any hackle. I could be wrong about that, but thats just how I remeber it. Its failry similar to the fly pattern "bright roe", which can be found in the kaufmann's catalog, but with a tail and different colors. Hope that helps.

Ira

#3 ·
Night Dancer,

You are correct about the Bella Coola fly. It has no hackle and the glo bug yarn wing is the same color as the tail, either bright "steelhead orange" or "flame". Prior to the invention of Glo Bug Yarn, it was tied with florescent dyed calf tail for the tail and wing. It is sometimes tied with a yellow yarn body that is often florescent yellow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.