Fly Fishing Forum banner

Q re Lund setup

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Moonlight 
#1 ·
At the end of the summer I made a major effort at resolving the leaky wader issue: I bought a 16ft Lund Rebel. Although used, this boat had never been modified (at all). It has an anchor but nothing to tie it off to, no means of handing fenders etc.

A fishfinder/depthfinder/GPS also would be an excellent way to help keep me locked into my present job. I am sure there are lots of other opportunities to spend money. Others have been down this path I am sure. What would you recommend and how do you mount this stuff?

Right now there is nothing to foul a flyline on, but the functionality is a little lacking too.

Also this boat has not been in saltwater (yet). I get the impression that others have exposed these boats to the salt. Are there any techniques to minimize potential damage (other than simple hose downs)?

I'm looking to trailer this and use it near shore, not for "adventures".

TIA.

#2 ·
Some must have items, and why:
1. SOS automatically [and manually] inflating life vests, USCG approved. Why? Because they are the only life vests passengers will wear and never take off. Actually the problem is they are so comfortable, folks will leave your boat and drive home with them still on.
2 Two anchors are required, one front, one rear to set a boat's position when current and wind conflict to destabilize an anchored position. The two anchors together should b e heavy enough to hold the boat in the heaviest wind you never expect to be in. By this I mean in really heavy winds, both anchors will be placed together and both anchor rodes will be tied to the bow.
3. Anchor rode [rope] three or four times the maximum depth in which you will anchor. Any less and a modest wind or current will cause the boat to drag the anchors.
4. A boat hook. These make docking and departing simple and safe. For example, when you idle up to a dock, some passengers will naturally want to help. Don't let them. Ask one person sitting on the side near the dock to stay seated and hold the boat side to the dock with the boat hook, while you secure bow and stern lines.
A huge side benefit of a boat hook is best described by the following story. Most of my boating is on a spring creek in northern California. One summer day cruising down the river my wife said, "Bob, there is a snake under your seat." I am not a fan of snakes, and looked for a soft bank or tule patch to run the boat into, so I could run like hell. No spot to ground the boat was nearby so I anchored in mid-river, and picked up the boat hook, that has an end that looks like a snake handling tool.
At that point the snake decided to move from under the driver's seat to under the passenger seat. This is a small bass boat with only a couple of inches clearance between the seats the the structure on which they rest.
I put the boat hook under what I hoped to be the middle of the snake, lifted him gently and put him into the water, where he swam away with great dignity--all five feet of him!

#3 ·
A word on cleats. There are now some decient hideaway cleats on the market that are invisable when not needed ( read most of teh time). I'm also a big fan of cam cleats ( as used on sailboats for rigging lines). These are less prown to fouling and have the added benifit of allowing you to tie off /untie just by slipping the line inbetween the cam.
econd teh vote on teh SOS too. They get used when the others are under the seat ( with the snake!)

Had a friend with a Lund 14 Fisherman that got used in the salt well over 100 times in 3-4 years. Seemed to hold up well. P.s. Don't give up on the waders yet. They are great for launching.

#4 · (Edited)
Using a Lund in the Salt will do nothing to comprimise the boat. You may leave it in the Salt for several months and suffer no ill efects that can not be alleviated with any more than hoseing off the bottom at your local carwash (while sitting on your boat trailer).
As to fenders I have used them, and I have not used them. I perfer to not use them ( lunds are tough and the paint is really tough).
A simple anchor bracket on the bow can be added slightly off center and still do a marvelous job of keeping you where you want to be. as for a stern anchor a cleat mounted externaly high up on the transom will not likely foul too many flylines. The beauty of a small aluminum skiff is you will not be anchoring in situations where you need heavy anchors so manual hauling will be the order for your installation.
In the last 30 years I have never been without a Lund and I kept one in the boat harbor in Sitka Alaska for most of the year with no problems from saltwater corrosion. I hope you have as many fine times with your Lund as we have with ours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.