Fly Fishing Forum banner

lookin for carp in all the wrong places

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Quentin 
#1 ·
Hi

New to post, new to flyfishing, suck at it, but hey I'll get betta. Live on cape ann, and frequently travel North (N.H. M.E.) to slap the water and see how many fish eyes I can poke out. I am looking for Carp waters in my fishing area other than the merrimack, maybe some small holes? Anyone?

Thanks

#2 ·
I don't know of any eye pokin carp holes :whoa: but I was wondering about your username. Exactly what kind of hat is that???

#3 ·
Carp Holes

Good Morning,
Do not know if you get to central Mass. area at all, but there used to be some good Carp Holes in and around the Worcester area; ( shallows of Indian Lake and Little Indian, backside Quinsig., etc. ) always productive in late summer!

and I remain.... with my bread balls, and spear! :eek:
Deerhawk

#4 ·
Welcome to the board!

I don't know of any specific carpin' spots in your area, but I'm sure there are plenty. Check the MA DFW web site. They have pdf maps of all the public ponds and lakes in MA, with depth contours, access points, types of fish and other info for each body of water. Here's a link:

http://www.mass.gov/dfwele/dfw/dfw_pond.htm

I'd look for places with plenty of water less than 5' deep (but near deep water) and shorelines with gradual drop-offs. Bodies of water that are connected to the Merrimack or other river systems should have carp in them even if the DFW info doesn't mention carp. As long as there is a way for the fish to get from the river to the pond/lake it will probably hold carp. If there are shallow backwater areas on the Merrimack they would probably be good as well.

Hope this helps. Let us know how you do!

Q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.