Fly Fishing Forum banner

SWE Fly Tying Show

3K views 27 replies 12 participants last post by  Striper 
#1 ·
Struck out on the raffles but a good time was had anyhow. Great to see Doc, Adrian, Fuzzy, Slinga, Mark and Bert, Jimmy, Sean, TodD and, of course, Pete and his magnificant herring phlys (was tempted to sneak a couple of them into my shirt but I probably woulda smelt like a fish) and so forth.

Time to tie a few flies and get ready for the season. Won't be long now.

#2 ·
Your right Fred, won't be long now. I happened to find one of those Pendback Phleyes under my windshield wiper when I left:D

Very good show....there certainly was a lot of good tying information at the various tables, but I think I will stick to the Trick Flyworm for the early season

J Fuzzy Basser:hehe: aka....?

#3 ·
A hush fell over MuddVille...

SWEDGE report...
The Salt Water Edge boyz put on one noteworthy event and my hat goes off to EVERYONE who made it such a pleasure!
REALLY NICE! :D

but on a down side...
Fred's remarkable luck FINALLY ran out when he got raffleskunked!
Mighty Casey stuck out and Muddville will never be the same!

and...
someone left a nice premium chunk of fur behind...gimme' an ID and I'll get it to you soonerorlater...if not claimed by July 4th, I start clippin'! :devil:

ps
WARNING: the DTHP's (dual tube herring phlyz) all are equipped with exploding die packs and a LOJACK device!:whoa:

#4 ·
Agreed that it was good to see everyone, especially those that I had not seen in quite a while (you know who you are....;) ).

I think it's safe to say that we're all ready to get to the fishing! :D

The Penguin's Pharside Herring Phlyz drew plenty of attention from passers by, and Pete was more than happy to share his phishy knowledge....

Attachments

#11 ·
I bumped into many others such as Captains Jim White, Todd Murphy, and Jamie Boyle. Kenney Abrames was also in attendance, and he and a handful of others (Caolo and Skok, to name a few) gave some fine slideshow presentations.

I can think of worse ways to spend a winter day. :)

#16 ·
Lost n' Found...

If you made a conservative purchase...
'dropped it near the wall behind our table...
'forgot it...
I found it!

#17 ·
Had a great time tying. Basser, I have more shrimp flies for you. Maybe next Friday??? Doc, great to finally meet you. Catch a cow on that big herring fly. They'll be running soon in your neighborhood!!!! Penquin, hope the herl ties well for you. More where that came from if you run out... See you all at Wilmington!!

#18 ·
The Travelling Road Show came to Newport...

JK
Thanks for the great insights on material distribution, balance and colour sense...Youz guyz make it look so easy!
What's even more amazing than your phlyz, is that you can find what you're looking for after you've packed up all your stuff!

Thanks for the great "herl on steroids"...some is already hangin' on a test focus group that will perform before some hungry consumers REEL SOON...:D

#20 ·
The SWE show is ALWAYS my favorite, I was otherwise committed. Penguin, stay away from that!:tsk_tsk: Sorry to have missed all my friends from the forum as well as Peter, Corey and the rest of the Edge crew.
I guess we will just have to make up time "ON The Edge":smokin:

#22 ·
A wonderful break to the winter!

THe SWE gang put on a great event, as did the Hyatt staff...friendly and helpful in every way.

Great to see "old" friends...JFBasser, I promise the South Beach Spandex Memorial Fly next tiem I'm up your way!...Pete, the stacked tube herring are so beautiful I was looking for the cream sauceand so will the stripers!...Adrian and DoubleHaul it's always a pleasure to see you. Now, let's go fish!...Tod D. and Slinger, it is a wonderful thing to remember times spent on the water together. Now I want to get together again this season even more than before...Todd M., the display was a real eye-catcher, and I enjoyed spending time working with youand Tim C. See you soon!...JK, a real treat to finally meet you, and contrary to rumor, I dont know where your wife was misplaced, but she's a fine lass, and you are a very lucky man. Regards to the dogs, too.)... All in all, a well-spent day and more than worth the drive!

Now if this winter would only end...

Best regards,

-Doc

#24 ·
Great event

I was fortunate enough to get away with my two boys to come down and take in the event and see some of the guys. Some great flies and flytiers present. Enjoyed chatting with Pete and enjoyed his creations. Sat with Armand C. and tied flies with both my boys. Josh(4) tied his first fly a yellow and white clouser with gold flash. Brandon tied up a Deep eel in traditional colors. They are anxious to go wet aline, spring fever setting in.

Had the great pleasure of checking out Mr Meiser's Rod making handywork when Rich Murphy let me check out his new 2 hander Switch Rod. It was sweet! Would have liked to load up some line and cast it for awhile But there wasn't enough time perhaps another time.

It's good to get out and see some great guys and raise some money for some great organizations as well.

Cheers,
Greg.

#26 ·
Pete,
I have been checking the mail box every night when I get home from my 1.5 hour drive to NY, still no BIG HERRING PHLYIZE to be found in there:hehe: . I have to bring you to the "Gorilla Hole" this summer and see if we can get some of them summer fatties to take a Phly instead of a Shad. We will of course have some back up just in case, I wouldn't want you to visit "The Hole" without witnessing the "Primates" that live below. Seriously I think that this year will prove to be even better than last year for big fish and I will be on a mission to land one of dem biggies on the long stick this time around. And of course we will have to reconvene off of the point for the fall meetings.

Mike M.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.