Fly Fishing Forum banner

Rio Grand line

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  cuttbow 
#1 ·
Hi

Does anyone out there use a rio grand line? I need to re-line and am considering using it. I will be using it for a sage xp thanks

#3 ·
I have a Rio Grand WF8F that I bought to use with me Sage 890-4 Xi2. I fished with it for an hour last October and did not feel that it loaded the rod well, which surprised me because I understand that the Rio Grand is a line that weighs a bit more than its rated weight. I used a Mastery WF8F AST bass taper with the rod and it cast better, so the wild card is the line.

This is not to say that the RIO Grand is a "bad" line. The one I have (bought from a local dealer, not eBay or over the Internet) just does not cast well with my factory-built rod. I am thinking about exchanging it for another RIO Grand WF8F to see if that makes a difference.

#5 ·
RIO's "Grand" line

The "Grand" is superb. It is a taper with, essentially the largest diameter forward, tapering continuously to the running line. It weighs a half line weight above the AFTMA standard.

I use it on a spring creek with 20+ foot leaders. Having the fly line weight well forward allows one to cast short distances with a very long leader without false casting, which is necessary with typical WF lines. It will also cast more than 80' in a 6-wt, by experienced fishermen, not tournament types. Its presentation of long leaders is soft enough to allow hooking wary 24" native rainbows in 12-inch deep creeks.

If I recall correctly, Dana posted a couple of years ago that the Grand was his favorite line for the purpose he was discussing.

It is available in light green or camo colors.

Re the Sage salt water rod, I personally think you should be casting, at a minimum, one line weight above that rated, especially if you are not in the higher echelons of fast/powerstroke casters.

#7 ·
Hi All
Thanks for all the suggestions:) I bought the grand and am really pleased with it
and my biggest complaint about floating lines is solved. The tip floats like a cork bobber even with weighted nymphs on it. Also thanks for the suggestion about going up one weight however I stuck with the 5 wt line on a 5wt rod and this setup casts like a dream
Thanks Again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.