Fly Fishing Forum banner

Offshore 09/10/02

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  DFix 
#1 ·
:( Yesterday, Went offshore for the first time this year. Not a very good day. First, wasn't able to get out far enough as the weather was agaist us. Stopped at Southwest ledge looking for blues, and bass. Syayed only for about a half hour, pickedup a couple of bass, and false albacore. Non were taken on a flyrod. The fish were down about 30 feet. Caught on jigs. Not my idea of fishing, but everyone to his way. Originally planned to go out about 50 miles, BUT. The seas which were supose to be one to two were in4reallity four to five, with dense fog visiblity was about fifty yards. Navigation by GPS, and radar. Out in that area one sees a few large ships. Set up about 10 miles out, and off long Island. First fish was a Thresher shark, only about seven foot long. This was the only fish that maybe could have been taken on a flyrod, as it came in the slick, and slashed into one of the mackerel sets. I didn't have a fly in the water as nothing, until that time was showing on the surface. Next was a small mako shark which was also released. We were socked in for most of the day, at a max of about 50 yards visiblity. When we were coming in a stray small bluefin, about 40 lbs nailed a trolled jig. It was a quick release. I did manage a picture, will post after I get the time to scan it.:( Good to get out again, but I have had much better days.:chuckle:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.