Fly Fishing Forum banner

Teton Tioga Magnum reels?????

7K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  JimW 
#1 ·
What do you guys think about the Tioga Magnum LA reels? Would be going on a SC Legend Elite 8w that will currently serve as a FW rig for bass and carp. However, will be planning a bonefish trip in the near future and don't want to upgrade once I get in the salt. I'm gravitating towards the Tioga due to finding a online deal where the flyshop is throwing in a SA Mastery XXD line for free with the purchase of the reel.

Will I be happy with this reel in the salt? This company is also offering free line with a SA System 2 LA, Redington Breakwater and Lamson Velocity reel purchase as as well. Would any of these be better choices than the Tioga?

Your advice would be much appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm an avid saltchuck angler here in Puget Sound / Straits of Juan De Fuca and the PaCific o... and the Teton has proven it self in the brine for years. The old SA also last for years without trouble until I dropped it on the parking lot and it cracked (not barstocK). The other two are not salt worthy sorry to say, I have owned both of these other reels and can say firts-hand they corrode internally.

#3 ·
I purchased my first Tioga (8) reel 4 years ago and have yet to have any problems with it. I now have 3 of them as well as a couple of the Teton model. I rinse them after each outing in the salt and put a drop of oil on the spindle once or twice a year. They are a bit heavy for their size, but they have held up very well so far. If you look around you can sometimes find factory blems around for a discount.

-Scott

#4 ·
My Tioga is going strong after ~5years. It may not be the best drag on the planet and it's certainly not the prettiest reel out there but it gets the job done.
I went to change lines on my Lamson Litespeed 4 the other day and realized that the drag had become completely non-functional after 2 years. The drag on the litespeed is very good, but the fact that it failed outright is a bit unerving.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I pulled the trigger on a Magnum 8 w/ xtra spool in the new gunsmoke color and loaded it with the new SA XXD line. The whole outfit cost me $250 shipped! SC Legend Elite should come today, so I'd say I'm ready for anything the carp and bass can dish out. Hopefully, the wife will approve a bonefish trip in the near future as well. :)

#8 ·
tetons

hi i am new to this site. and noticed this thread and decied to post this.

me i did not care to much for the looks and the drag system of my teton tioga. i have heard nothing but good about the lamson reels but i do not owen a lamson so i could not say if they are better then the tioga . now a old florida , harris or a tibor i would say go for it any day .

good luck and tight lines stoney......... :smokin:

#10 ·
I also have the Magnum #8 in smoke finish, its an awesome reel for the money. This is my backup steelhead reel to my Litespeed 3.

I got my Magnum #8 from Ebay'r " Ranchodeluxe" . 139.00 new. NOTHING touches it in its class!
Barstock,true LA,virtually sealed drag,sleek design,bus stopping drag,LIFETIME warranty all this for under 140.00! Sweeet!

Good luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.