that old tv show about the French foreign legion trudging through the desert
( I know, you're not old enough to remember that but I am as you so kindly,
continually point out to me) as we slogged across the flats. I would have
been drier if I fell in the water!
Now, I'm a pretty good fly fisher. I've caught 20" trout on 6x and tiny
flies, stalked them during a spinner fall on the Bighorn, thrown hoppers at
them on the Madison, caught steelhead on the Salmon. But nothing, absolutely
nothing prepared me for what I experienced with you and my brother-in-law,
Dan, on the Ol'Pucker Brush Creek Flats. First of all, I forgot how to cast, how to stack
line, how to do anything! My first cast was a disaster. I had more line
tangled in my basket than I had on my old Ocean City level wind reel when I
was a kid in Atlantic City. I got buck fever, and held on to it for at least
an hour. "Fish at 1 o'clock, thirty feet. Cast now!" Yeah sure and I'll make
enough money on the stock market to buy one of those water houses in Chatham.
And then to stand there and leave the crab motionless as the striper
approached, flashed, turned, tailed, whatever until I could actually set the
hook! Oh yeah, and I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.
But I'll never forget standing on the ladder, staring at the water trying to
make heads or tails of what was a fish. And out of nowhere comes this dark
torpedo right at you; no, five dark torpedoes and then trying to get it all
together to cast, Whew! The best was spotting those three fish for Dan when
you were indecently exposed on the island (oops, was I supposed to say
that?). I know that doing this for a living must get old at times, but
spotting those fish and coaching Dan as to when and where to cast (and to see the hook-up!) was
memorable. I see torpedoes in my dreams, and I'll be back.
Howard

8/10 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Scheduled Day Off.

8/9 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
John, Kevin and Mike had lot's of striper fly experience. Mostly on their home waters off
Jersey. But they had never experienced sight casting to big bass on these crystal clear
shallow water flats. Boy, were they ever excited today! Reminded me of when I was a little
kid waking up Christmas morning, anticipating what was in all the presents that Santa had
delivered. There were no lumps of coal in today's gift's. Just a fair to good number of
good sized bass. Everyone hooked up 3- 4 times. Unfortunately, some were broken off and
some short striked the fly. We walked about 6 miles today on the flats (Phewww) so that
my guests would have a good understanding of this world class fishery and the many gifts
it had to offer. They will be fishing on their own all weekend, so I wanted to give them
lots of options.

We had birds and fish crashing bait in the AM. combined with sight fishing on the flats.
Covered a couple of area's that were almost void of fish. And found other area's to be
loaded with bass and bait! It seemed that if you could find the bait, you would find fish.
Lots of Chubs, silver sides, sand lances, shrimp and baby herring or bunker around. Your
flies should imitate these different types of bait exactly, combined with the proper retrieve for
optimum success.

(See Photo's)

Mike was all smiles with his first ever, 28 inch, sighted flats fish. He saw it, cast at
it and watched the fish inhale it. Congrats to you all!

My feet hurt, my legs are tired, Im happy to have tomorrow off.
Have fun but be careful, Randy

8/8 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Bob and Stan must be gluttons for punishment. After seeing all those fish yesterday that would not eat their perfectly cast fly (he-he), they wanted to try it all over again today. Mother nature once again shined on us. She gave us a day with a ton of sun and just enough wind to make it interesting while sight casting on these crystal clear water, light colored bottom sand flats. Lets see, I can either hook my ear, Randy's ear or a fish, hmmmmm. We saw less fish today than yesterday, but at least some of the ones we saw and cast at today ate! Big fish at the start of the incoming, then close to the top of the tide they all turned small? Then back again to a better size. This change kept a different fly close by. I use different flies dependent of size and numbers of fish. Also whether I have lots of current or less. Even the education level and species of fish can change the fly I use also. Different depths, clarity of water, ability level of angler, migratory cycle and other reasons can require a fly change. Anyway, we hooked up a couple of small fish and also a couple of 29 inch bass.

(See Photo's)

Bob Toffler MD shows off one of a few fish that came to hand today. Congrats to you both!!

If any of you are doctors who enjoy fishing, I might recommend you give Bob an email rbtfishllc@aol.com or phone call (203) 389-0348. He has a company called "Flyfishing Physicians". He puts together fishing trips in combination with your continuing medical education. This Nov. he has a great trip planned for Bonefish and will also have one for Trout out West. I like the idea of you being able to get your C.M.E with some C. F.(ishing) E. !!

8/7 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Bob and Stan wanted to sight fish today. So off we marched to see what the day would bring. Saw and had shots at a number of bass on the coming tide in the A.M., but no takers. Went through a few slow periods over the course of the day at and around the high with a fish here and there to cast at. The dropping brought a fair to good number of fish to throw at. We had lookers and had a couple of bump's, but again no solid take's. The wind died mid-day and the sun lit up the flats like it was Times Square on New Years Eve. It was a great party out there today, but the ball never dropped. 95% of the fish we were casting at were all 10lb's or better. I think they all had a master's degree on what was real and not. Welcome to August on the flat's!

8/6 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Mike decided to brave the wind forecast and give it a shot. Winds were forecast to be 15-25 knots, small craft advisory. We found a spot to fish that was out of the wind and picked up a couple of fish. Then we ventured out into an area that was unprotected. Forget about it. I can't remember the last time I was out in a wind like that! For me it was actually fun to be out in it. Everyday the weather makes for a different view. The cloud formations were amazing. We called it quits after a 1/2 day. Wind had to be a steady 20 with much higher gusts. Had a nice lunch behind a big sand dune enjoying the view. Noticed the "I" buoy had blown or was dragged out of the boating channel by about 200 yards. Good thing it was high tide or many a boat would have run aground on the many shallow sand bars surrounding the channel. I'll call the harbor master before someone gets hurt. Lots and lots of monkey fur in the water. Probably would have hooked up more if the water had been a little cleaner.

(See Photo's - www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports)

Both Mike and fish smile for the camera. One of them didn't have a choice. (he-he) Congrats!!

8/2-4
Scheduled Days off- Vacation, during these slowwwww tides.
Lots of mung and the fishing has been slow for us. Big fish around if you know where to look. A few smaller fish are also available.
Good Luck,
Randy

8/1 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
I'm looking for housing next summer here on the Cape.
2003 May, June, July, August - 1 bedroom cottage, apt needed for myself . Chatham, Harwich, Dennisport, Orleans area.
508-398-9980 Randy Jones

Bill only had 2 hours to sight fish and he made the best of his time. With-in 20 seconds of me saying, we could see them at anytime in this spot. I was calling out fish to him. Then another and another. I stationed Bill on my ladder to fish from, to give him a visual advantage. He was seeing them pretty good. The last cast was made before he had to leave and a nice 15 lb. bass ate it. But on the run the hook pulled lose. During the time Bill was sight fishing on his own, I was in the shallows teaching Roland the art of fly fishing. During this time we had 2 schools of about 20 fish each (all around 10 lb. bass) pass between Bill and ourselves. It was exciting to watch, as they were continually tailing, rolling and slurping on the available bait as they swam by us in 2 feet of water, very slowly.

Roland picked up false casting and then shooting it after the mornings lesson. We ventured out onto the flats to sight fish. No blind casting here. If we could not see them, they simply were not there and no cast's were made. Glad there were a good number of big fish around traveling shallow as we never waited long for another shot. If we were not seeing them here, we moved 200 feet and found a whole new batch of fresh fish to cast too. Once they realized we were there and moved out, we walked and found some more. Roland had some good shots at'm and also a good number of cast's at some big'ns. We came up empty for the day, but had a fun time trying!

One thing that is blatantly obvious presently, is that there is FINALLY a good amount of bait present. This is one thing some of us have been noticing a lack of for the last month! Bait-silversides and sand lances. . Sandlances are schooled or hiding in the soft sand. Silver sides are all schooled up They have been shallow in good numbers, in several different locations. The fish are keying in on both bait's. Especially where there is moving water, bringing them their next meal. (Compressed water flow)

Best Fish's,

Randy Jones

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.