Fly Fishing Forum banner

7/19-7/24 S.E. Cape Cod Wade Fishing Report

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  RandyJones 
#1 · (Edited)
7/24 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Nothing grows faster than a fish from the time he bites until the time he gets away. (Fisherman's Saying)

Canceled due to weather forecast.

7/23 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Bob, Randy and Rich experienced a slow day of fishing. Wind and more wind made for a "day off" from the flats. We did all blind casting today and hit fish in both spots. All schoolies and 1 snapper blue. We probably picked up 7-8 fish total. I was a little surprised by so few and no bigger fish coming from an area that had been producing better. O'well, sure beats a sharp stick in the eye!

(See Below Photo)

7/22 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Wow!! Rob and Charlie experienced one of those days. We walked about 4 miles of flats, trough's, guzzlers, sand bars, creeks, bowls, channels and edges of flats. Saw fish in all area's! Perfect sight fishing conditions today. Biggest fish was a 29 inch'a plus a host of smaller. Congrats to you both! How sweet it is!!

7/21 S.E. Cape Cod Fishing Report
Bill and I were lucky with the weather. It turned out nice and sunny which allowed him to sight fish all day. We visited 4-5 different area's and found fish in all. Some only held the occasional fish while a couple of other's were much better. Good number of big fish around and even some new ones too. Still very fussy eater's. Did not see hardly any bait today? Bill lost one nice one on the run but landed a honk'a of 39 inch's. Bill is going to forward the pictures from his digital in a couple of days since Im waiting on my new WATER PROOF camera to arrive. (he-he) Congrats!!

I've come to the conclusion that what the gulls were picking up 3-4 days in a row last week in different locations were actually small squid. Makes perfect sense. Wide body, dark in color, short in length.

Question:
Had an opp'y to fish on the last day of vacation on Wed. Worked some deep sandy bowls in the eelgrass along some channels.
I was fishing some 6" buffy flies that a friend tied for me, and here's what happened (or didn't happen):
Following the advice of others, I retrieved using fast long strips with a 400 grain depth charge. It did wonders to dredge fish off the bottom 6-7' below, but I had a disproportionate bunch of hard hits that never hooked up.
What was I doing wrong? Should I vary the speed, or length of the strip? Should I stop every few strips and let it sit?
Curious to hear what I may have been doing wrong.....
Thx!

Lots of variables as too why you were missing some. The below may or may not be why.
Did you check to make sure your friends hook's were sharp before fishing with them? Is he using quality hooks or ??.
After hooking a number of fish the hook will slowly go dull. Did you check it and or resharpen it? I,ve personally lost a number of fish by being lazy and not checking the sharpness of my hook.
Did your hook possibly bend out?
Maybe they were small or big blue fish. They normally hit the fly by the tail. They could have just been tail biting your fly? Sometimes small bass do the same.

Were you fishing with a bow in your line someplace? A bow is slack and many a fish is lost due to this one thing. Are you following the line with the tip of your rod during the drift-swing to keep a direct connection to hook? So the hook penetrates quicker?
Are you holding your rod tip up as you follow it or are you holding the rod tip down by the water, where it needs to be.

I've noticed lately that some bass have been short striking my clients flies. If you fish with a fly that has a shorter tail, that will help.

If you were anchored or standing shallow and casting over the edge of a channel you will often hook the edge on your way back in. Feels just like a hit every time.

All of the above are things that will cause your problem. Im sure there are many more.
Good Luck,
Randy

7/20
Scheduled day off
Heard that a couple of days ago the bass and bait have moved into their places (as in years past) off South Beach in better numbers. Before that it was hit or miss. This should help all wade anglers out.

Recently noticed over 3 days a lot of Gulls picking up 1-2 inch wide, short in length, all most black?, bait fish or worms?.
A friend who is a guide said what he saw looked like worms. Another regular flats fly angler (Tom Thomas - Toms rattle crab) reminded me this morning that last year at this same time we were seeing bass smash small sea robins.
A small or large bone fish slider would do the trick to imitate these, in my opinion.

Best Fish's,

Randy Jones

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.