Fly Fishing Forum banner

Why use up-eye hooks?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  juro 
#1 ·
In the "Loop Dropper?" thread on the steelhead board Skookum wrote of his dissatisfaction with up-eye hooks. I've run across that opinion before (including in Combs book -- the bible) and it makes sense that the gape of the hook would be moved away from the target during the initial grab if the tippet is tied directly to the loop of an up-eye hook, resulting in a shallower hook-set. So why are these the most widely used steelhead hooks? Looks? Tradition? Shouldn't straight-eye hooks be more effective?

#2 ·
I think he also made the point that with loop eye hooks one should tie a double turle knot, which makes the tension as direct as possible and provides a very strong knot. Maybe it's not quite as strong as a palomar knot but I've never had a problem with turle knots on quality loop eye hooks for steelhead, and I never tie a knot to the eye unless it is a straight eye hook like a 200R for summer flies.

In summary, I think it's effectiveness over the centuries is based on the use of turle knots.

#3 ·
I see your point (no pun), Juro.
I'm sitting here looking over a hook catalog; there are all sorts of shapes, sizes, and strengths of straight- and down-eyed hooks available these days. I guess that aesthetics and force of habit are the only reasons I'm seeing to use the up-eyed hooks. I hope I'm wrong because I've got loads of them.

#4 · (Edited)
turned up eye/

Maybe its turned up for better (deeper) penetration. The turned down eye does close the gap, slightly. With a toothy fish, this could be a problem.
I also think the barb's height closes the gap, I think the barb should be cut on the outside of the gap along with a straight or up-wards turned eye. This would allow maximum hook gap to be utilized with each hook.

Just my .05¢ worth, it was .02¢ before inflation. :rolleyes:
Mayflyman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.